Front brake issue (again)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front brake issue (again)

Last year, I replaced the mechanical switch on my '80 GS1100E for my front brake lever with a hydraulic one from DennisKirk. Everything was working fine until a few days ago.

After leading a night ride through some very dark, winding roads, the person following me asked "Does your brake light work?"

Uh, oh.

I checked and, indeed, the front level was not causing the brake light to turn on and the back switch was set really loose so that it did not light until the brake was almost fully engaged.

Rear brake was an easy fix. Front brake, however, is a head scratcher for me.

If I "short" the connection in the headlight bucket with a piece of wire, I would expect the brake light to go on since the rear switch comes up through the same connector (doesn't it?) and the rear switch actually lights the rear light. However, the light does not come on.

I checked the switch by measuring resistivity while engaging the front brake -- it goes from infinite when the lever is not pressed to something less than infinite when squeezed. It occurs to me I should check the actual value (the multimeter is auto-ranging, so I don't know if I was measuring Ohms, KOhms, etc.

What other areas should I be checking?

Thanks,
    - Tony

Sounds like the switch is good and the harness needs going over.

Comment

you dont know if your auto-ranging meter reads ohms or kilo-ohms? doesnt it display units?

look for a frayed wire if shorting it doesnt light the bulb...

Comment

Originally posted by gsBert
        you dont know if your auto-ranging meter reads ohms or kilo-ohms? doesnt it display units?
        At the time, I was more interested in determining continuity than getting an actual value, so I wasn't really paying attention to the actual value, other than the see that it wasn't infinity.

Originally posted by gsBert
        look for a frayed wire if shorting it doesnt light the bulb...
        It that doesn't work, I'll just run a new set of wires and connect it in parallel with the rear switch.

- Tony

Comment

yeah, theres a man with a plan! i love it! (the plan)

Comment

Working...
          X