Clutch question.. do I have a problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch question.. do I have a problem?

Had her on the center stand the other night, and I started the engine. I noticed that when in first gear with the clutch disengaged, my rear wheel was turning. Not with any real force, mind you, but still turning. Is it normal to have a little power transmission through a disengaged clutch on these things, or is a clutch adjustment in order?

Same thing was happening to my bike after the rebuild. I adjusted the cable and it went away.... Good Luck

Comment

Could be cold, thick oil as well. It shouldn't do it when warmed up.

Comment

look at the bright side, your rear wheel spins free, and isnt binding, nor is the caliper dragging

Comment

side effect of a wet clutch.
          the oil that is between the plates make it act like a torque converter in a auto transmission.
          the drive plates spin and get the oil spinning with inturn make the driven plates turn, and that makes the wheel turn.

temperature and oil weight have a big effect on this.
          hot 10w40 will make the wheel turn much slower if at all than cold 20W50

Comment

That's normal so don't worry about. You got a few plates in there and the oil make them stick together. If you ever replace the clutch pack you see what I mean. You'll pull out a steel plate and the fiber ones will be sticking to it like glue, sometimes the whole pack will stick together. That's what happens when the springs squezze all the oil out between and you get that vacum effect.
            1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
            1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
            1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
            1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
            01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

yeah, that's what I figured with a wet clutch. But I've never had a machine with one before, so I thought I'd ask. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
              X