Here's a new one: gs850 carb problem!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's a new one: gs850 carb problem!

Last week I bought this 1982 gs850. Owner said old gas, carbs need cleaned and battery dead (classic!).

- Drained gas, did the lasy clean (1pt seafoam/1pt cheap carb cleaner in a gallon of gas)... didn't work.

- removed carbs, cleaned, replaced. Still runs like crap.
    [crap defined as standard choke on idles, bogs on accel, forget removing choke]

- mechanic said "we'd boil those carbs" so I recleaned them. This time I popped those little aluminum "pucks" out and cleaned the air jets. I reset them to 2 and 3/4 turns out (seemed about where they were before).

- ran like crap.

- mechanic said "cv carbs need the airbox fully on" so I put the airbox on and the airfilter and duct taped (temp move) the open end. The bike actually seemed to have a chance at running ok. but not good.

- I'm charging the battery but that may not work, I think I have to spring for one.

- I never unganged the carbs so I guess I don't have to sync them, but what a mess. These stinkin' things are real picky.

What do I do next just short of taking it to a real mechanic and coughing up the dough. Hey anyone in orlando who knows about this???

thanks for any comments.

mike stone
    orlando.

carb clean series from main page. and search feature here.

Comment

yup, thats where I got the info for the carbs.

mike

Comment

Originally posted by mikeonbike1962
        yup, thats where I got the info for the carbs.

mike
        Were you able to dip the carbs without taking them off the rails somehow? I've cleaned three sets so far and you'd be suprised and the amount of junk that comes out of those little internal passages.

Get a set of o-rings from Mr. Barr (search here) for the carbs and do the full cleaning if you haven't. Its amazing how much better my engine with the two melted pistons ran once I cleaned the carbs..... and found out the problem wasn't really carbs but the two melted pistons!

Good luck,
        /\/\ac

Comment

no, i didn't do the dip, but heavy sprays using gumout ( twice ) plus wire and tiny drill bit cleaning. I think I sprayed most all out, I had "wired" out the air jet and the three "bowling ball" holes past that.

mike

Comment

Working...
          X