Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaned the carbs now bike wont run...

Hello there,
    I have a problem with my 1982 gs650gl. :?
    I cleaned the carbs because the bike had been sitting along time and wasnt running as it should. Having put it all back together the bike wouldn't start.
    I wasnt sure about the screws on the top of the carbs so I asked a mechanic friend who said about 1 1/2 to 2 turns is about normal. He also said to squirt some easy start in the air intake. I did this and it ran for a bout 3 seconds and then stalled. Gave it some more easy start and it worked again for a few seconds. Tried adjusting the idle scew, but that didnt help. I then found out that if my hand is blocking 90% of the air intake (filter) hole the bike will roar into life and I could control the rpm. Obviously there is some mixture problem going on here. The bike still wouldn't run after I had put the air filter and cover back on.
    Does anyone have any clues?

Blocking the air intake will richen the mix. So, maybe you're running too lean. Could be incorrect float levels or an intake leak. You should replace the o-rings under the intake boots (manifolds) and be sure the airbox is not leaking anywhere.

Use the search feature. TONS of info in older posts re carb problems.

Comment

Even though I have owned a gs850 for a total of ...1 week today, I know that you MUST put the airbox back on with filter and cover including the vent tube to evenhave a chance of making it run. I was told cv carbs need this. Mine kind of runs now but, like crap. I know NOT how to properly adjust carbs (air jet only here?) or been able to run it long enough to determine if they are the only problem. Persist or find someone ( good old fashioned jap bike mechanic! ).

mike

Comment

Follow this advice

Originally posted by mikeonbike1962
        Even though I have owned a gs850 for a total of ...1 week today, I know that you MUST put the airbox back on with filter and cover including the vent tube to evenhave a chance of making it run. I was told cv carbs need this. Mine kind of runs now but, like crap. I know NOT how to properly adjust carbs (air jet only here?) or been able to run it long enough to determine if they are the only problem. Persist or find someone ( good old fashioned jap bike mechanic! ).

mike
        Mike is right, with CV carbs you need the airbox, filter, vent tube installed and all connections from the airbox to intake manifold tight. If after doing this it doesn't work come back and we can hash it out for you.

Comment

Working!

Well I managed to get it working with 3 turns anti clockwise(out) but it still needed a bit of easy start to get it going. The air box is now in place and it still runs!!!
          But now the bike seems to be weak when in low rpm. Not sure what thats about yet. Now the rear brake needs replacing so I'm off to do that now...
          Thanks for everyones help!

Comment

A tip that I have found while working on my 650 and 850 GLs...

to avoid having to put the airbox on just to see if it is running, I tried a mild restriction that worked quite well. I hung a shop rag over the intake throats. In fact, it worked so well that I clamped the rag to #1 and to #4, and just let it hang over 2 and 3. It works well enough to tell whether it will work with the airbox. I would imagine that there might be some differences, but it sure saves the time of installing the airbox just to find out that you have to take it out again!
            sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

after removing the carbs 3 times in as many weeks I have found that it's 5 minutes to remove the carb set including the airbox. I guess the airbox bolts should just be quick disconnect ?

mike

Comment

Carb Adjust

I am right now in the same position as you, I have a 1982 GS850GLZ in which the bike sat for a long time and when I tore the carbs apart there was rust and the jets were clogged. I cleaned them and replaced all the jets and the orings that I found someone from this site selling a complete kit. My pilot screw caps were already removed, these are what the EPA required the mfg's to install after the carbs were set at the factory and tampering with them is a violation (yea right). Since my plugs were already drilled I replaced the pilot screws, however I did make note of how many turns it took to seat them, one was 4 1/2 and the rest were 3 1/4. I first started with all 4 backed out 2 1/2 turns as the manual suggests, my bike wouldn't run but for a second. As I continued to back the pilot screws out 1/4 turn at a time I noticed the bike started to run a little bit longer. Right now I am around 3 1/2 - 4 turns out on the pilot screws and at idle it is running smooth. When I open the throttle it boggs some and stalls indicating there is a blockage in the main jet or they are in need of balancing which I have not gotten to yet, but is going to be necessary.
                Just letting you know how many turns it took my to get the bike running, that is with the air box on & a new air cleaner installed.
                Good Luck...

Comment

Working...
                X