Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Warning indicators and fuel meter not working...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Warning indicators and fuel meter not working...

Any thoughts on what could cause my fuel gauge and warning lamps (neutral, sidestand, and gear indicator lights) not to work? The gauge faces light up at night like they are supposed to.

I checked the fuses and they are all good.
    2010 Honda VFR1200F
    1983 Suzuki GS750T (sold)
    Being Revisited
    1981 Honda CM400T
    http://www.bikepics.com/members/cloudbreakmd/

Did you check the harness where it goes into the back of the cluster? Maybe it came loose somehow. Thats all I've got for ya...

/\/\ac

Comment

I'll check it, but any other trouble shooting tips would be helpful as well.
      2010 Honda VFR1200F
      Being Revisited
      1981 Honda CM400T

Comment

Ground connection . Check for a connector on the bucket that they are grounded through
        1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
        1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

I echo duaneage's suggestion that a faulty ground is the problem. An easy check from my point of view is to temporarily provide a good ground with an external wire with alligator clips on both ends. Ground one end at the battery negative post, and take the other end to the suspect item and clamp it on. What you'll have to do at some point regardless is to chase the ground wires, and clean and remake each connection till you eliminate the problem. Sounds like the ground wire right at the instrument cluster would be the place to begin.

Comment

I would suggest using a small fuseholder (the type that has two wires connected to it) with the alligator leads so that if you accidentally touch a + connection instead of the ground side you don't cause a short circuit that damages something. Use a 5 amp fuse inside the holder.
            1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
            1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Great idea! (grumbling at myself thinking of several partially melted alligator clips I own). I did finally set-up my ground test lead with an aircraft grade 5 amp circuit breaker that I can reset by pushing a button, but I failed to mention that in my earlier post. My eagerness to say something, equates many times to my mouth writing checks that my body can't cash.

Comment

As far as accessing those plugs, do I have to remove the headlight bucket or the gauge cluster? In other words what approach should I use to approach the connector?
                2010 Honda VFR1200F
                Being Revisited
                1981 Honda CM400T

Comment

Working...
                X