Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

front air loaded forks gs850(82)... bad seals, has anyone..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

front air loaded forks gs850(82)... bad seals, has anyone..

ever used fix a flat or slime to seal these up. I know, you just threw up, I'm not sure if there are bladders in there or what? If the stuff won't screw it for life than it's easier than a real fix.

mike

No.

Don't do it.

We beg you, please!
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage
      No.

Don't do it.

We beg you, please!
      describe it! has it been done?

Comment

The forks use 15w oil to dampen suspension travel. The air provides rebound resistance for the forks. Putting leak seal for tires inside the tubes would probably ruin the mechanism and they would have to be cleaned out, not an easy job.

I suggest you go with progressive rate springs. They do not need the air and some say they ride better. It si a popular modification on the 850 model because of air tube leaks they are prone to have.
        1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
        1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage
          The forks use 15w oil to dampen suspension travel. The air provides rebound resistance for the forks. Putting leak seal for tires inside the tubes would probably ruin the mechanism and they would have to be cleaned out, not an easy job.

I suggest you go with progressive rate springs. They do not need the air and some say they ride better. It si a popular modification on the 850 model because of air tube leaks they are prone to have.
          ok, thanks for explaining it.

mikr

Comment

If the fork tubes are not scratched, a simple fork seal change should cure any leakage at the slider/tube interface. Worked for me, anyway. Also, if they're blowing oil out the fork cap(s) the o-ring is probably gone. These are cheap and easy fixes, but the Progressive Suspension spring change is certainly the permanent fix.

Comment

Working...
            X