Airbox Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Airbox Problems

Ok, so it seems I may have a bit of a lead to my GS1000 hard to start in the cold problem, that problem being with the airbox.

I took the sides off the airbox to check the airfilter, only to find water in the airbox. Upon closer inspection it would seem that the boots that fit around the carbeurator have actually started to slip off on two of the carbs (#1 and #2), and we just had a good rainfall last night explaning the water. Fortunatly I don't think any wayer got into the carbs.

The first carb is soo incredibly loose that there is a notable gap along side the boot for air to get in, additionally the gaskget that goes along top the air filter in the airbox has worn away allowing for more air to bypass the filter.

Is this likely to cause a too lean problem which would make the engine difficult to start in the cold?

One other thing is that inside the airbox looks a little bit dirty, a bit of grime on the walls of the airbox, but it doesn't look loose at all, I will post some pictures... is this good? Or can this cause problems? If required I will remove the airbox and pressure wash it before putting a new filter in there.

Removing the airbox does not look like it will be an easy task, so I am hoping to avoid that :S

[/img]

You have found your problem. As you have probably found out in the various tech form posts here, the airbox is a manditory item for stock jetting. All those 'leaks' on the rubber makes the eng run lean. Repair those and you will notice a difference. The oil you notice is normal for these bikes. Just wash it out with a degreaser and rag, or, if you so desire, remove it to wash. In your case, I would remove it so I could inspect/clean the box better

Comment

Thank for your advise. I will clean it out tomorrow when I get the chance. Fortunatly the airfilter looks to be in otherwise good condition, I am going to take it out and try to repair the gasket along the top of it, save me some money on having to purchase another one.

Cleaning the box out should not be a problem. I have looked over the box fairly well, I don't think removing and inspecting would yield any results. The rain last night clean the surface of it off and has shown any crack that may actually be in the box, hence how I actually found the loose rings around the carbs.

The metals rings that tighten the boots are really loose, I imagine the probably happened because there is no lock washer on the back of them (due to engine vibration) I have a feeling that by fixing them up will prevent this from happening again too... getting to the inner boots though could be a challenge.

Comment

the 1000G is probably the easyest GS to remove and replace carbs and airbox on, (the 550 the worst!)
        the intake boots/velocity stacks are still ayailable and when they get old the shrink down and the clamps wont clamp them good as well as not fit on the carbs.
        fortunatly they are still available, unfortunatly you are looking at a good $60 bucks for the set. I have a set on order for mine (hope they come in soon)

if they are not on the carb completely you will have cold start problems.

Comment

Yeah, I attempted to reclampt the boots today, only to find out that the boots seemed a bit shorter than they should be and that the metal clamps are a little bit out of shape too so they won't clamp on very well.

I managed to work it enough today that there doesn't seem to be any more leaks from around the boot. Could a small leak though around the boot be enough to actually throw off something as much as making it literally impossible to start in the cold?

It can be a bit tricky in the warm, but really nothing near as bad, since I can usually get it started within a minute, and when it runs, there are no other problems, doesn't seem ot idle high or anything.

Comment

BTW, where did you get your boots from? I will probably need to order another set, just to make sure.

Comment

Working...
            X