Steel Braided brake lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steel Braided brake lines

Where can I find these for an 83' GS1100E?

Some of the accessory catalogs like Chaparral don't show a listing for your bike anymore so you may have to contact the manufacturer directly. Try Galfer, Lockhart-Phillips or Russell. I recommend going with a two line kit which is cheaper and eliminates the junction and antidive.
    Axel

Comment

Also do a search on braided brake lines in the forums. There have been several discussions about them and places to get them. I can't remember the site but one place also coats them in several different colors if you don't want the shiny steel look.

Comment

Brake lines

Axel,
        Does the two line brake setup require a different master cylinder? I have already eliminated the anti-dive.

Comment

The same master cylinder will work, you just use a longer banjo bolt(with holes for both lines) and attach both lines at the master cylinder.

Comment

I just had Spiegler make a set for me... I picked Black plastic coating to retain the stock look. I sent my originals to them, so they should still have the measurements... ask for Chris... very nice people and quick turn around.

Comment

If you were going to replace all of the lines (something like 7 if everything was complete) I would recommend getting a kit. Since you are looking for non-spec lengths it should be less hassle to have them made at a shop for you. Go to an industrial hydraulic shop or a motorcycle shop and ask around to see who makes them in your town. I had one made in 5 minutes. The major cost in putting lines together is the fittings and you have left most of them out, the braided line is practically worthless.

Steve

Comment

The same master cylinder will work, you just use a longer banjo bolt(with holes for both lines) and attach both lines at the master cylinder.
                I think you can use one of the banjo's you removed when you disconnected the anti-dive.
                Here's another option for brake lines. I bought a Canadian Bandit 1200 back before they were available here and no one had lines for that model. Went to my dealer and he had a kind of do-it-yourself stainless brake line kit. But with this kit (can't remember brand name) you didn't have to do any cutting or swagging. The lines were sold by length with threaded fittings on each end. He also sold a variety of end pieces to match the size and angle of the stock ones. All I had to do was screw them on. They worked great but were probably a little more expensive than the pre-fabbed lines.
                Axel

Comment

Go to Dennis Kirk or Parts Unlimited. They both have Russel universal brake line fittings and brake lines. You simply choose the fittings and lines and bolt them together. Remember that the steel lines are more rigid than their rubber counterparts so you may have to buy longer lines than you currently have. I added 2 inches to the lower lines on the front of my bike.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                  X