it lives, it lives!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it lives, it lives!

yeah! finally, after 2 years of messing around with that bike, i got it working (still keeping my fingers crossed though, as it's not quite right)

81 gs1100 with 1150 engine and gsxr carbs (slingshots, the cv-flatslide)
    jetting was always off, and seemed unfixable.

i got sick ant tired of it and put the 4:1 from my 750 on it to see. actually, i knew i was on to something when my 750 got massively underpowered and super-silenced with the exhaust that was on the 1100...

it no longer smokes unburnt gas out the tailpipe (only the left one too).
    it runs perfectly on the idle jet
    it runs perfectly on the main jet
    the needle jet bogs it down...

im guessing the needle jet is too lean (needle is at the lowest possible position) or the slides are rising too slowly (i have 1 of 2 holes in the slides epoxied shut, so the needles rising too slowly is most likely it...)

best part about this is i can fix the needle setting without taking the @#!@# carbs off the bike...

(am i allowed to crosspost this in the performance mods section? im sure someone there would be interested)

Wondering if you are trying to use the stock 1100 airbox attached to the GSXR carbs? What size jets did you end up using and how about the float height? Just curious what you settled on.

Did you fab the rubber engine mounts off the 1150 and graft those onto to the 1100 frame mounts?
    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

36 idle jets (had 40)
      - 140 main jets (had 147.5)
      - needles at their lowest position
      - pilot screws are 2 turns out

no airbox, using dual k&n

as far as i can tell the 115 is bolted into the 1100 frame mounts straight in.
      (i didnt install it)

i dont know my float height, should be stock gsxr they seem to hold a LOT of gas, i'll check next time i have them apart (should check during further tuning anyways)

Comment

Wow! 6 sizes up on the pilots.

I had noticable vibration tranmission into the chassis with the stock 1100 engine brackets in front.

The thing still vibrates, but its not as severe.
        GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

what size pilots do you recommend? that's the screw right? how many turns out do you have yours at?

yeah, it vibrates a bit, but hey im used to it and the crank is perfectly balanced so it's not so bad.

straight cut gears add to the fun of course....

Comment

I was talking about the pilot jet not the mixture screws. I was told 30 is stock on GSXR 11 carb (36mm). I have 32's in there.

Comment

ah, that might explain why it runs so good on the choke...
              ill see what the plugs say.
              2 turns out is ok then?

Comment

Yeah,

I'd say 2-2.5 is good starting point. My bike runs fairly well, but I would say I'm not a carb guru. I've never adjusted my own floats or synched the carbs.

It carburetes cleaning all through the rev range with the exeption of a stumble just below 3000rpms or 1/8 throttle opening.

I bought the carbs used and a problem with the #1 carb emulsion tube backing out of its home, causing a rich condition, happens on occasion. This could be causing the stumble.

Comment

weird.

i just took the bike for a run and noticed a few things

A) my rear sprocket is WAAAAY too small, the thing takes off as if flung from a slingshot, you gotta hold on real tight or it throws you off (and that's just on the pilot circuit)...

B) at the transition from pilot jet to needle jet (1/8 throttle) there is a flatspot that lasts about a second where the bike is in limbo, then it just revs happily to redline and pulls like a locomotive burning crack instead of coal (see item A).

it's really scary as is, because here you are put-puting away and you try to pass someone and lag out like you dropped an anchor and before you realise what's happened, you're catapulted forward at warp 6... i have my needles in the lowest position i'll try upping it by 2 notches see if that fixes it, else i'll unblock the secondary slide holes.

i'm also going to have to do something about the throttle cable being too long, that 1/16th turn with nothing happening right after idle is really disconcerting, you're like "what the hell?" and then you get whiplash from the above mentioned sprocket.

well, the bike handles really nicely,but that throttle has an identity crisis, i have to find a way of convincing it that it isnt a toggle switch.

i can handle flatspots but on an engine this torquey, they're scary. good thing i was wearing my brown pants.

Comment

Working...
                  X