The Starter Kept Running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Starter Kept Running

Hey all, the other day I started my 1982 GS100 GK and the starter kept turning the engine over after I released the start button and turned off the key. Do I need to have the starter rebuilt or is this a relay problem?

After I disconnected the positive lead and charged the battery the engine started just fine and the starter didn't run-on.

Thanks.

Most likely the problem is in your starter button, the starter motor cant turn without current.

Comment

Starter solenoid could be arcing and that will cause the contact inside the solenoid to weld up. If the starter button looks ok inside replace the solenoid.
      1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
      1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

I would replace the starter Solenoid just for insurance, $15 in the lawnmower section at your hardware store, & clean the starter
        button

Comment

Thanks guys.

Comment

the starter kept turning the engine over after I released the start button and turned off the key
            I suspect that the starter relay at least temporarily welded closed. If the key was turned off and it kept going, there is no way for that current to flow other than through the primary starter cables from the battery-to the relay-through the relay- to the starter. If the starter button were the culprit, the problem would have stopped when the key was turned off.

Comment

starter

I got to go with Danger on this one unless the energize wire was touching something with current,( ie battery post or another bare wire) but not likely

Comment

I'm planning on replacing the coil and putting in an emergency stop button between it and the positive terminal on the battery just as an added safety feature.

Comment

Working...
                X