hot cylinders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hot cylinders

I have a 1980 Suzuki gs850g, with 30k miles on it. It has been in a garage for several years when i purchased it. When i first purchased it the carbs were gummed up and sticking and i took them apart and cleaned them several times, every time i have put them back on the right two cylinders seem to be running really hot and the others not. I was curious if this is the mixture of air to gas or if maybe they arent oiling right? or any other possibilities. It will start up and run. It idles at about 1400 rpms.

Any help would be appreciated

EDIT: Also all the carbs have been adjusted to 2 1/2 turns out

Sounds like your left side plugs aren't firing but can't be sure. I had the same problem with my 850 for a while (turned out new plugs and plug caps fixed the problem). Check to see if your bike is running on all four cylinders. All four headers should be way to hot to touch soon after you start the bike. Don't let it idle too long without a fan or two blowing on the motor either.

Comment

have you syncronized the carbs??

the carbs need to be adjusted so that they all flow exactly the same as each other, or you end up with one or two cylinders doing more work than the other two.

Comment

All the spark plugs are new and i believe all the cylinders are firing, they all get hot, too hot to touch when driven but two of them get way hotter alot sooner than the others.

I have yet to syncronize them yet because my manual i ordered isnt in yet. Im hoping that will tell me. I heard i need a special tool to syncronize them? Or is there another way?

Comment

You almost certainly need new intake boots and/or o-rings -- overheating is a textbook sign of intake leaks leading to a lean mixture.

The problem:

The cure:

Don't bother with anything else until this is fixed properly. No JB weld or silicone.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

There is a possibility that when cold and running on choke that the 2 cold cyls are not getting gas due to dirty choke circuits, (Because when stored on the side stand these will be the last bowls to dry up and they will get the most moisture and damage due to rot) when running down the road they are getting fuel elsewhere and by-passing the chokes. Check that the openings in the float bowls are open. The hole in the bowl where the little brass straw sits is the choke. You should be able to shoot carb cleaner through that hole and have it come out in the opening in the bowl. You should also be able to blow through the little brass tube and have it come out of the choke plunger hole. (Carbs must be seperated to perform this step).

Comment

Working...
            X