Automotive Coil-Pack Retrofit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Automotive Coil-Pack Retrofit

Using search, I see that someone thought of retrofitting an automotive coil to the GS, and was pretty-much shot down because the group thought there was risk of damaging the ignition box (ignitor).

Is this just a fear; or based on any factual information?

I measured the impedance of the coil in question and compared it to a Talon/Eclipse coil-pack I happen to have laying around for R&D purposes and found that the impedance is within 8% of the stock suzuki coil. And, the two coils on my bike are more than 5% differerent when compared to eachother. The load this coil presents on the ignitor should be indistinguishable from the stock suzuki coil. The coil pack has two coils and fires 2 cylinders at a time; same sort of arrangement. The plug wires may be usable without modification, in fact.

Example unit:

Why bother?

- Cost (can be sourced for $20 or less with connector and wires at a salvage yard).

- Spark energy (I'm willing to bet that a coil pack off a neon/eclipse/talon provides more spark energy than the OEM suzuki part).

- Removable, available plug wires.

I can't see spending $100-300 to solve a broken plug-wire problem when a solution this nice (and this cheap) could potentially be retrofitted. Does anyone have any information pointing to why this wouldn't work? If not, I'll go ahead and try it in the name of science.

Byron

If you can get it to work, power to you!

Does the Talon coil pack have two electrical leads like the GS coils? Remember our ignition systems are wasted spark (sparks on the exhaust stroke too).

~Adam

Comment

also remember that late model cars ignitions are computer controlled and the ignition module is integrated into the coil pack, it gets its signal from the computer.

anything is possible with enough time and money.

Comment

Coil Packs

Some coil packs have integrated ignition modules, those would not be usable. This is the exception rather than the rule.

Most coil packs are nothing more than coils in a fancy box; the drivers are within the ECM or ignition module itself. On the talon pack, there are four wires for the primaries, and two secondary outputs each terminating in two studs for 4 plugs. No internal drivers. It's waste spark, just like the Suzuki GS.

Other examples of coil packs that have no internal drivers is just about anything on the Ford line...starting with the old EDIS ignition systems way back in 93 or so. I prefer the talon pack because its layout would make the wire routing easier in this installation.

As soon as I find the connector for this pack, I'll wire it up and see what happens.

Comment

Subarus use a very similar coil pack with a separate igniter. They are also of the waste-spark variety, fyi...

matt

Comment

Subaru Pack

Nice! That pack even looks more compact...good tip, thanks.

Comment

Working...
            X