Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical system and intermittent issues possible?cast vote

Hi again,
    My purpose of this question is due to the fact that other people and myself often look at the electrical system when the bike acts up. Putting aside any connection problems, is it possible for any electrical componant to have intermittent issues? Signal generator, coils, plugs & wires, ignitor etc.

Cast your vote...

Good day,
    intercessor

I had an igniter on an 850 work excellent 1 minute, dead the next minute then work fine again, repeatedly.

Comment

Rectifier/Regulator - especially the original item.

Comment

A bad coil could work until it has been heated up. Ride the bike for a while, then she dies and won't restart until she's had enough time to cool down.

Also, recently I had problems with my charging system. I replaced the stator and the r/r, which cured my problem until I turned on my headlight. I ended up having an intermittent short inside by the stator. Metal clips are used to hold the three wires down and to the cover. The first clip (closest one to the windings) was pinching the wires...

Comment

My vote is a resounding YES! It seems practically any link in the electrical chain can dodge in and out on you.

Comment

The fuse box can be used for troubleshooting by elimination. Opening up circuits to variuos things can eliminate problems on the output end.
            1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
            1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Yes, any electrical part can be broken and act up only parts of the time. circuit boards can get small cracks in em, the heat issue is also very commonplace( heating up, dying, cooling down , working)

less than good grounds can also give this phenomenon. if its only got a good ground some of the time itll show as intermittent.

Comment

Working...
              X