Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i found some extra parts do i need them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i found some extra parts do i need them?

hey guys anyone know if these parts are important?

not the penny thats for scale

i found them encrusted in sludge in the bottom of my oil pan when i pulled it.

the bike seem to be running fine and seems to shift well, even though i am yet to take it on a test ride. for all i know these things could have been at the bottom of the pan for the last 20 years or the previous owner dropped sumtin by accident, the only other thing is the drain plug was helicoiled. could one of these been from that

the little tiny round cylinder is hollow and looks to be some sort of rolled metal pin or something not a bearing.

any ideas,

at this point i figure i am just going to ride it till sumthing happens, and man you didn't want to know what 20 years of sludge looks like in a oil pan yuck.

-ryan[/img]
    78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
    82 Kat 1000 Project
    05 CRF450x
    10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

put the penny back in!!!! NOW!!!!

it's for luck, and you'll need it!

the little rolled metal tube is to hold your wrist pin in place in the piston skirt, must've fallen out during assembly... (I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT BIKES AND MIGHT BE WRONG ABOUT THIS, my experience is with car engines) and it wouldnt matter as the pin cant get out, only scratch your cylinder sleeve or jam in there and snap a connrod (which is bad, as in schrapnel grenade under your crotch bad).

the washer looks like its very hard and took a beating. could a clutch part find its way into the oil pan? that doesnt look like anything that should be under a piston...

did you put this engine together yourself? if not, show them to whoever built it. they might recognise the parts, hell they might have spent the last 4 years looking for them...

dont get paranoid, im only guessing here, honestly.
    however i recommend you cover your clutch while youre riding untill you find out for sure what they are.

loose parts in an oil pan are really alarming though, so dont just ride it until something breaks.

Comment

i didn't assemble or take the motor apart, or from what i can tell it has never been taken apart.

this bike is a resto job and the motor seemed to have been in good enough shape to not really dig to deep into it when i started.

-ryan
      82 Kat 1000 Project
      05 CRF450x

Comment

Could be a dowel pin for the head/ cam cap ?? Maybe a head bolt washer ??? Through them into the tool box & forget about them

Comment

I grew up on a farm and helped my father rebuild literally dozens of engines. Everything from lawnmowers and chainsaws to tractors and farm trucks. He used to joke that if you didn't have at least a five-gallon bucket of parts left over when you were done you did something wrong

Seriously though, how "embeded" in the sludge were they? Its like geology you can date when they got there by comparing them to the strata around them! If they were buried and been in there along time, then I'd say you'll be OK, if more recent....well a motorcycle engine is pretty easy to rebuild...as long as the rod doesn't poke a hole...but then again there's always JB weld 8O

Comment

they were pretty buried not right on top, i'll see what happens and run it, i have a extra 1000 motor so if this goes bad it won't be super bad.

anyone have a motor apart that can poke around and see if they can figure this out.

-ryan
            82 Kat 1000 Project
            05 CRF450x

Comment

The washer looks like a head stud washer, or a washer put in there by one's very young 'helpful' daughter (ask me how I know this...) When the valve cover was off. the pin, to me looks like something that came off maybe a cam chain tensioner arm, or a gear fit-pressed on a shaft, like an oil pump type gear or something. If it was buried in teh sludge, I wouldnt worry too much about it, apparently the bike has ran successfully without them for awhile. Clean you pan, reinstall it, ride without worry.

Comment

Here's my WAG

The dowel could be from where the block mates to the case, keeps the block center on the case.

Or could be the dowel from the cylinder head to the block, keeps the head center on the block.

Or a stator cover alignment dowel.

Or a cam cover alignment dowel.

Or a cam cap dowel.

The washer could be from head nuts, real easy to drop one inside the cam tunnel.

Or could be part of the starter clutch assy, the pinnion gear which may need to have a washer on each side.

Or a bucket shim if you don't have adjustable rockers.
                1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
                1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
                1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
                1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
                01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

if i pull my stator cover will i be able to tell if anything is missing, and will i need a new gasket there and if i pull the cover will oil dump out or is it dry behind there?
                  82 Kat 1000 Project
                  05 CRF450x

Comment

If you lean the bike over to the right it shouldn't leak much, there is oil behind it . If the gaskets are old then they will need repaced and the old one will need to be scraped off.

If you pull the stator cover sometimes the pinion gear rod will come out with the cover and the gear may fall down along with the spacer's/washer's that are suppose to be there on both sides of the gear.

If you don't have a book for your bike check bike bandit for charts as it may help you identifty the parts.

Good luck and what bike are we talking about here.

Jake

Comment

I vote for new oil & filter and ride on. These were parts that were carelessly dropped in during engine work. If the parts had come off a running engine there would be a nut to go with the washer. The parts being bound by the sludge was a good thing. It kept them from moving to passages or moving parts where they could have done harm.
                      Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

I say put your mind at rest the guy obviously droped the things down the cam tunnel theres not really any way you can loose a washer or dowl pin and it ended up in the sump without the engine comming apart any other way

Comment

Regardless of what you do, if you pull off any covers requiring gaskets you'll likely need to clean off the old and "re-gasket."

To this end I can state with confidence (from years of personal experience) that you'll be just fine with almost any high temperature RTV gasket maker IF you follow the directions. On another thread I was turned on to a product by Permatex called "the Right Stuff," which comes in a pressurized can (for easy and even application) and can be applied only minutes before using the engine. Several guys swear by the stuff, and if you go to the Permatex website they have some impressive testimonials about it. I'm definitely going to give it a try.

Ride with ya soon, Pal!
                          Steve 8)

Comment

ok guys i'll forget about it for now and see what happens.
                            these parts were found in my 79 gs 1000 motor, and for the 2 years i have owned it i haven't put any miles on it since this has been my "yosh racer project" and it is almost finished minus the paint, i just got it running and the carbs synced and tuned i think but can't tell till i take it for a ride, and that is a weekends work away. i have changed the oil and filter twice and burned about 2 gallons of gas thru it. i'll let you all know how it goes.

-ryan
                            82 Kat 1000 Project
                            05 CRF450x

Comment

Hi Ryan,

Out of all the things I said I'd say it's a headnut washer and a cam cap dowel. Most likely dropped from a head gasket change.

Jake

Comment

Working...
                              X