Some Diagrams of r/r, and questions about other r/r

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some Diagrams of r/r, and questions about other r/r

below is a scan from my original bike manual, with color added for clairication of the circuit.

there is also two simple diagrams of the original and modified r/r setups.

q1: what to do with the "gr/wh - lightswitch - rd/wh" loop

q1: it would appear that almost any r/r from shindengen will work, but how does one determine ~before~ connecting the wires what /where they go.
    ie black to gnd, or to hot lead? multiple colored leads to ?

The answer to Q1 is, Ignore the leftover wiring loop. It's a Suzuki design quirk (read about it in the 'Stator Papers' on this website). If you have bypassed the wires so that all 3 wires from the alternator go to your reg./rect. unit, you have done the right thing. Just coil the leftover wiring out of the way and forget about it.

Re. Q2, I'm not familiar with the "shindengen" make of reg./rect., but you should have 5 wires all up:
    1. Three wires to connect to each of the wires coming from the alternator.
    2. A black wire which connects to earth -- taking it directly to the negative battery terminal is the best shot.
    3. A red wire which takes the regulated and rectified alternator electricity and shoves it into the battery.

You may need to work out by a process of elimination as to which is which, depending on the colours of the "shindengen" unit. You might find the chart at

useful -- it is a more 'generic' version of the one in the 'Stator Papers', and may help you with any different wiring colours on your particular reg./rect. unit.

Mike.

Comment

I've done this mod myself and your diagram for the Honda r/r is correct so far. The smaller gauge black wire goes to a switched 12V supply. 12V when ignition is on, 0V when it is off. I use the orange/white wire on the back of the fuse box (GS1000), but you can connect to that wire anywhere, it's the one that goes to the coils eventually.
      '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/
      https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4306/35860327946_08fdd555ac_z.jpg

Comment

pictures with instructions
        1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
        1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
        X