GS850 starter clutch? problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850 starter clutch? problems

I have a 1980 gs850. It was struggling when starting, making a inconsistant sound from the starter churning the motor, sometimes almost coming to a stop. Looking for some input.

Battery checked out 12.5v no load, 12.0v with light on, and 10v with the starter going. I bypassed the starter relay, shorting out the output and it made the same sound, relay good.

I checked out the starter clutch, the following video was shot with the starter clutch flipped so the bearings could be seen. The starter clutch is being rotated in the direction to let the shaft slip. Note: the bearings get pushed back as they rotate past the same spot. I think the surface the bearings glide/grip on is out of round.

A little over a month ago, the starter clutch lost it's bearings. The starter motor would just whirl without engaging the engine. Skreemer and Nerobro patched it up, new bearings, springs, and roll pins.

from what I can see there the clutch is doing what it's supposed to be doing.

From what I've seen, your slow cranking is not all that unusual. I'm actually willing to bet the problem is a burnt winding in the starter motor.

I wonder if one of our 550 motors would fit. Or at least we should check all the windings on your starter motor.

Before anyone jumps on it. Yes, his battery is likely slightly discharged. But his bike has ALWAYS cranked slowly.
    You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
    If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
    1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
    1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
    1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
    1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
    1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

anyone else have any ideas? I have an extra 550 starter clutch I'll roll around like NotEvil did and see if I get the same results...

Nerobro is correct though that his starter has always moved real slow...

Comment

I just replaced my starter motor, after slow/inconsistent cranking for about 2 yrs(I'm not totally dim-witted, it happened very gradually). Couldn't believe how much better/quicker it started; less voltage drop & all. On a starter tester, old starter would be to hot to touch after running for 10-15 seconds. The used replacement starter ran for 30 secs and barely got warm.
        Hugh

Comment

Working...
        X