Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mrbill54
    the dino oils' molecules are sheared apart by the gears in the tranny,

Ha ha!! We better be careful it doesn't shear the atoms as well. We might end up with fission powered bikes.

Comment

Looks like my input is needed again... :twisted:

Synthetic oil was made for the specific application of gas turbine engines. GE developed them in the mid '50's during the so called "atomic age". Everybody was filling thier houses with -gasp- electric toasters!! And televisions!! And -holy hand grenades- electric washing machines!! No more ice boxes- an electric ice box now!!! All this resulted in a need for cheap, quick, easy to impliment power. These turbine engines ran at rpms never seen before, and resulted in extremely high temps, like 900 to 1200 degrees. Thus, a need for an oil that could withstand these temps.

Think your GS engine would ever see 900 degrees? The basic internal combustion engine has not changed much in the past 120 years, synthetic oil has been around less than half that time. Car, truck and plane engines did just fine before syn oil...

Synthetic oil is resistant to higher temps, and definitely has a much better shear resistance. No doubt about it. The reality is that even modern internal combustion engines don't really challenge the properties of even dyno oil. Or they shouldn't, if they are running well.

I'm not pro syn or dyno, just came across this info a long time ago, and it's good reading...
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Guy
        Originally posted by mrbill54
        the dino oils' molecules are sheared apart by the gears in the tranny,

Ha ha!! We better be careful it doesn't shear the atoms as well. We might end up with fission powered bikes.
        Come on Guy, get with the program, that's why we have oil filter's........................I for one do not want bit's of atom's flying around inside my motor..............

OK! I'm being silly again,yes, yes I am........ \/

Comment

Originally posted by gspaul
          Hey, an oil discussion, never had one of those here!

Crank it up Paul! I am in the wings waiting :P

--------------------------------

Other than what Jethro said which is gospel... I also know that if you do run syn oil you need to make sure you engine is completely broken in before doing so. In these older bikes that is most likely not going to be an issue but I have seen guys put it in brand new bikes. This is a no no as it prevents things from seating properly and will actually result in early failure of engine parts.

Use it at your own risk. I myself prefer dino oil. It has never left me down and is what my engine was designed to run. I have also used syn oil and not noticed any difference what so ever so weigh your options man.

Comment

Motorcycle specific dino oil, here.

Currently, I'm digging Castrol Actevo. I have almost 2,000 miles on a crankcase of this, and it's holding up like a champ. Time for another gallon, and it's only $17.95 -- $10 cheaper than my previous favorite, Golden Spectro Semi-Synthetic.

Use whatever oil makes you feel groovy -- all of it is far better than anything available in 1983 or whenever your bike was built. Even the cheapest Wal*Mart sludge.

There's no better way to inflame the masses than to shout "oil!" in any vehicle forum...
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I suggest you only use that "NuGold" Canadian Tire recycled oil in that 70's disco packaging. My Dad used it almost exclusivly in his 1978 Ford Pinto. You might as well be safe :-).

P.S. Castrol GTX 10w40 hasn't let me down on 5 bikes yet.

Comment

Working...
              X