Looks like I am going with a Dyna S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like I am going with a Dyna S

So I finally managed to remove my fuel tank today and out of interest test the coils on my bike, primary coils are all fine, but the coil for pots 1 & 3 has an infinite load when checking from the coil boots.

I can not test if it is the high tension cables or if it is the actual cable since the two don't appear to seperate. I never had any problems though with either of the pots not firing when I did manage to get the bike running (very difficult to start). But than again a break in the high tension cable doesn't mean there is no spark always.

Anyway, time to get myself some green coils and a Dyna S ignition. The points on this thing annoy me, lol. Only need to get a new seat, and parts for the choke ail and everything else is cosmetic. I can hardly wait to get this thing running.

Are the green 3ohm coils (DC1-1) appropriate for the GS1000GT bike? Looks to me that they are.

Comment

Yes the green ones are it. You probably have bad plug caps Recheck your coils The left one fires 1&4 Rt fires 2&3

Comment

Yeah, I actually suspect that the problem is with the plug caps, but the general condition of the HT wires are very bad. The insulating is rotting off and has many huge cracks running through them.

Even if it is something as simple as the caps the HT wires need to be replaced or they are going to cause many other problems in the near future. I have none the less ordered my Dyna S and 8mm Supression Core HT wires from these guys: http://www.z1enterprises.com/ (I have to say their customer service is REALLY good, I am absolutely impressed with this company).

Comment

Does any one know if the dynas are a bolt on to his model bike. On my 83 1100e they did not match both mounting holes and i had to use a bracket.

Comment

Scotty,

I had same issue with my 821100e and kept breaking brackets later finding my coils floating on top of the engine. At one point I was blowing fuses on the way home from a ride because the coil would short out occaisionally. I ended up mounting them to the original frame brackets by using smaller diameter bolts and stand-offs. I also put some heatshrink around the stand-off where it comes close to the hot coil connection. They have held solidly. I got the parts at Home Depot.
            1982 GS1000S Katana
            1982 GS1100E

Comment

Poor application by dyna. I found them floating a time or two myself. Well if we mist play hot rod then we can expect anything.
              Thing what the gs resources drag strip boys must go through 8O

Comment

Having looked at the images of the coils on the site I purchased them from I already knew to expect an issue when it came to mounting the coils. Hardware like this though is really not that great of and issue.

Once I actually have the coils and can see what I am working against, mounting becomes a trivial matter.

Heat srhinking is not a bad idea. I am going over all the wiring on my bike and I am renewing connectors, soldering new ones and cleaning up well pretty much all the connections. I will likely use a bit of heatshrink along the way on this one anyway.

The PO of this bike but some hard saddelbags on the back of the bike and made a lot of customer changes to the wiring, he did a fairly bad job at it, used electrical tape on everything which all has to be corrected now.

Comment

Dyna coils only come in one size/shape - the mounting bar only has two options for mounting. What we've done on some bikes is either fabricate a bracket or use a couple of zip ties to mount each of them to the frame - we use a thick pad of reinforced rubber under them to stop any vibration. On occasion we've even done this on bike where the coils do attach to the normal mounts - just in an attempt to get them into a better position relative to airflow (trying to keep them cool).

BTW, CMROche - thanks for the nice comment about the company... little-by-little we're adding more parts for the GS's.

Comment

Working...
                  X