78 GS550 long warm ups??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 GS550 long warm ups??

I have a 78 GS550 and it takes for ever to warm up..10mins or so..If I don't have the ckoke on or try to back it off a little it dies..After it gets good and hot I can turn the choke off and runs fine...any thoughts?? Thanks Steve

Make shure your valve clearances and ignition timeing are correct, if the problem is still there ,check for vacumn leak's between the carb's and the head.
    If still the same, adjust idle circuit mixture.

Comment

OK but it idles great after it's hot....Thanks

Comment

I could have just said adjust the the idle mix a bit richer and it would probably been ok,but down the track when you give it a full tune and then it either idles badly, or run's a bit rough, it may leave you scratching your head and wondering what happend.
        The carb's are allway's the last thing you adjust, but if your happy with the state of tune, valves/timeing etc, there's no reason you cant enrich the low speed range by a 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn.
        Good luck!

Comment

Thanks I'll try that

Comment

Please let us know if you get your bike to warm up quicker. I have long warm ups with my '81 GS850 as well. I can run with the choke off, but if I let her idle, she'll die. A co-worker told me that if it takes a long time to warm up, but then runs great after she's warm - it will give you better gas mileage. I don't know if there is any truth to that?? Personally, I think my gas mileage sucks (but it is a heavy bike so I dunno?)

Comment

My 83 GS750ES is the most cold natured think I have ever known. In Jax, FL on a 75 degree morning it needs to be choked for 5 to 10 minutes or about 1 mile to the interstate through three long lights. It's always been that way (bought it new) and I just learned to live with it.

Comment

My GS1100GL takes forever too.

Comment

Working...
                X