Why can't I adjust timing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why can't I adjust timing?

On my GS750 I can't get the timing set for 1 and 4. I set the timing mark at the first | as the timing plate shows |F1-4| (see http://www.beat-la.net/bike/points.jpg) . Set the breaker plate to 12 O'Clock. Put my continuity light on the White wire, and I can never get the light to turn off, no matter how far I adjust the breaker plate. What is wrong? I can do it for clys 2-3, but once I adjust 1-4 correctly, 2-3 will have to be adjusted again as well.

Silly question, but... did you adjust the point gap first?

Comment

Yes. .014".

Comment

Yes. .014".

Comment

Twice even! ;-)

Comment

I've been waiting for a while to see if someone will help you. How close is it to being on the mark when you hook up your timing light?

Comment

I have been waiting as well. It is dead on the mark when I am setting the timing. I am using a continuity light to do the tests. I reset the gaps for about the 20th time last night and I finally got the light to go off, but doing it this way gives me a real lack of confidence that everything is timed the way it should. Timing clys 2-3 this way is also not confidence inspiring. Maybe I will just bite the bullet and get a timing light. It seems to be running pretty well at this point, save for two clys running rich. That seems to be another problem though. Thanks for the reply Mark.

Comment

I always use a timing light, I've never used a continuity tester that's why I'm not much help. If you do get one, get a good, bright one that you can use during the day. You'll get your moneys worth out of it over time.

I know there are other threads on this forum with good information about timing procedure, you might try that (if you haven't already). Sounds like you're pretty close though.

Comment

ditto on using a timing light, its easiest. being points I am not sure how your bike could hit on 4 cylinders and not be making and breaking contact.

so you should be able to use continuity to time it.

Comment

Working...
                  X