Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tricks to unstick a stuck clutch?

Hi all.

I thought I had everything done on my project bike, then when I shifted into 1st to pull away, the bike lurched then stalled.
    The bike is a 1980 GSX 400 E.

It seems that in the time the bike has been sitting, the clutch has seized.
    I have adjusted the clutch at cable and pusher mechanism so it definately
    is getting pushed in when I pull the lever.

Any Ideas on how to free this up?
    I guess otherwise I'm looking at draining the oil, taking off the side cover
    and dismantling the clutch. Probably replace the clutch plates while I'm in there I guess.

Please tell me there is a neat trick to free this off. The other bike My girlfriend has been riding (a 1976 MZ TS250/1) died 2 days ago
    (suspected dead clutch)

Get a couple of mate's, and with you sitting on the bike get them to push you as fast as they can,and drop the clutch in 3rd.
    Just be prepared if the back wheel lock's up.
    Which is why your sitting on the bike & not pushing!

Comment

Its not unusual for the clutch to stick if the bike has been sitting for an extended period of time. Provided the clutch is as it should be and is actually just stuck from sitting start the bike and get it rolling (if you have a handy hill nearby this is easy) and just slip it into gear and ride it. During this ride the clutch should unstick itself no problem.

Comment

GS paul:
        Could be tricky to get into 3rd from neutral & I cant drop the clutch as it is stuck in the engaged position.

Nick:
        Unfortunately I live in an area with short streets and lots of traffic lights, so I'd have to stop and stall the bike pretty soon.
        I am thinking of an alternative to this though.
        I'll put the bike up so the rear wheel is clear of the ground then start her up. once I'm in about 6th gear I'll try using short jabs of the rear brake to break the clutch free.

Comment

i dont understand you phil...

tricky to get to 3rd from neutral...

just click your shifter up twice, it shoudl work just fine with the engine off...

if your clutch is jammed from sitting the easy fix is to take it apart.

dont do the rear brake thing youre talking about, not with the wheel in the air, your chain will be too slack and youll round your sprockets, lol.

moral of the story: dont let a gs sit around....

Comment

Tighten the clutch cable, till it's too tight. put the bike in 1st gear, and sit on the bike & rock it back & forth while holding the clutch lever all the way in. This should break at least a couple of the plates loose. When the clutch loosens enough, hold the brake, & start the engine while in gear & holding the clutch lever in. Let it run a couple or three min. if possible shifting in & out of gear. Readjust clutch cable & ride.
            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

mine was sticky when I finally got her running, not stuck mind you, and I was able to ride it a little, and now all seems well. still gonna replace it on principle though.

Id probably recommend rocking it a little in 6th gear with the clutch pulled as stated previously, or just taking the clutch apart, cleaning it up a little and put it back in. should be able to get by with just a gasket and an oil change. riding it is probably the easiest option when available.

can ya ride it at 3 am and have someone watch the first couple corners? or do laps in a parking area? as long as you can goose it a little it shouldnt matter how fast ya go to get em loose.

change the oil once theyve freed up.

Comment

Some of the above advice may work, just let me add.
                I'd change the oil because the bike's been sitting. Be SURE to use what Suzuki recommends in regard to weight. (10/40?)
                If your filler hole allows, use a larger syringe and first squirt some oil over the plates as best you can at the start of re-fill. I'd warm up a little oil for this use.
                It's best, in my opinion, to at least try to lube the plates first. A sudden shock to the stuck plates could result in breaking a fiber plate. It would be even better to take things apart and inspect/lube the plates properly before trying to run it.
                And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Well I got the clutch free.
                  I ran the engine in neutral for a while until things had warmed up then tried rocking the bike in 6th gear.
                  It broke free but was still dragging, so I ran the bike for a while on blocks
                  letting it spin up the rear wheel and then applying a bit of brake with the clutch pulled in. This slipped the clutch and things freed up.

The problem I have now is that although the plates will grip fine when the clutch engages and will run free when the clutch is pulled in. Now the springs won't smoothly pull the plates together when I let the clutch lever out. Sometimes it just stays open and I get no power, then suddernly the clutch will close. This either stalls the bike or has me hanning on as the bike lurches off.

I'm about to strip down the clutch to clean it. Hopefully it's just gummed up and nothing is broken in there.

Comment

Working...
                  X