GS650E and HD Mufflers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS650E and HD Mufflers

I know the Harley muffler thing has come up quite a bit and lots of questions have been asked, but I am going to do it again. The service tech at a local HD dealer said the pipes from some of the big bikes is just too much exhaust for a 650 which seems believable. I don't want a great amount of noise and I don't want to have to rejet. He suggested pipes from the Sportsters as probably being the best solution, but everybody seems to be getting good results from the mufflers from the bigger bikes even for GS750s.

The Sportster exhaust is small and I suspect probably has less restriction than the bigger bikes despite being much smaller displacement. Although it would look good. The FLCT fuel injected model had the nicest compromise and no big ugly bracketry to mount bags and no holes for the crossover plus centred mounting bracketry.

I got offered mufflers for $50Cdn not as cheap as most and not nearly as good as free oh well lots of other dealers close by even a different service tech.

Any thoughts on the backpressure thing. I'd rather build brackets than mess with the carbs until the bike gets well dialed in.

Thanks

David

I installed Dynaglide shorties on a Kawasaki KZ440 LTD twin, and they worked great w/o rejetting. They sounded nice and mellow at low RPMs and had a sports car like snarl when I'd wind her up. I used Softail mufflers on my GS850 and got the same results. I see no reason why they wouldn't work as well on your 650.

Here's a link to a forum discussing this:

Comment

Going to a dealer and get Mufflers

Great I think I'll stop worrying and go get some. By the way I looked up Paragon and they skipped the 650s. I'd like braided brake lines too. I'll do some cross references and see if I can mix and match. Do you have pictures of both bikes?

Comment

If Paragon doesn't list your bike, that's great news for you. Contact them about building you a set at half price. They did that for me and a few others who post here. You supply them with all the measurements and fitting angles. That's how they get the specs for their kits.

I do have some pics. If you PM me with an email address, I'll send them to you.

Comment

Working...
        X