Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Safety Braker

1977 GS750
    I have a Clymer, Service - Repair - Performance manule from April 1978.
    In the back it recommends using a Safety Braker on the rear brake because it is to sensititive. It's been awhile since I rode it but I seem to remember that it was easy to lock up the rear. < not good
    I have one but removed it when I checked out and bleed the rear brake.
    I am considering getting Stainless brake lines and putting it back on when I install them. The rear brake lines and a safty braker seem to be counter produtive for thier respective purposes
    Anyone have any input on where to get no hassel SS brake lines at a reasonable price.
    Also experience with using a safety braker.

I was looking through the Parts Unlimited Street catalog yesterday at SS lines. there are proabably 4-5 brands in there, I don't know what length you would need, I'll guess 24", which would run something like $20 for the lower end lines. I would think that your best bet is to go into a repair shop and ask to look at what your options are.

I'm not familiar with safety brakers, but certainly someone is.

Comment

OK, I give up, what's a "safety braker"
      Is this something only US model's had? 8O

Comment

I'm not Sure Either. An Early attempt at Anti-Lock??? :?
        sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
        2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Norm,

I've got a '78 GS750 and I have not had any issues with a touchy rear brake. We have the same calipers on the back. The only time I locked it up was when I had just had the bike for a few months.

I've also done the stainless braided brake line on the back and it improved it only a little since most of the stock line is steel tubing.

There are several brands. Mine are Russell. I paid MSRP at a local bike shop and it was $18 for the line, and $16 for the banjo fittings. Total: $34 plus tax.

It's critical that you get the approporiate angled banjo for the length of line you get. You'll want the angle of the banjo to put the least amount of bend in the line as possible. Good thing about the 76-79's is that there's all kind of room behind the side cover to put excess line.

J
          16 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT with 175hp stock, no upgrades required...
          13 Yamaha WR450 with FMF pipe, Baja Designs street legal kit
          78 GS750E finely tuned with:

78 KZ1000 in pieces with:
          Rust, new ignition, burnt valves and CLEAN carbs!

History book:
          02 GSF1200S Bandit (it was awesome)
          12 Aprilia Shiver 750
          82 GS1100G

83 Kaw 440LTD

Comment

A safety braker is/was an after market item. There is a picture of one in the performance section in the back of my Clymer manual. It is machined out of aluminum with fins to dissapate heat. It is installed between where the brake line enters the rear caliber. I'm not sure what it uses to dampen or lower the hydraulic pressure to keep from locking up the rear brake. I know that it is still possible to lock up the rear wheel if you stand on the peddle when it is installed.
            I think it was mainly intended for high speed braking in turns.
            Anyway I bought one when they were available, they also had them for sports/race cars at the time.

Comment

Working...
            X