Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stator Replacement, Need A Quick Answer!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stator Replacement, Need A Quick Answer!!

1980 GS550L

I've already determined by use of the Stator Papers IV troubleshooting tree that I need to replace my fried stator and R/R. I'm currently in the process of ordering a new one, but I have one question:

I noticed a rotor that covers the stator assembly in the parts breakdown. Do these usually go bad with the stator? Do most people leave the rotor alone and just replace the stator? I need to know if I'm going to need to order one or not as they are $182.66 at bikebandit and i don't think my pockets are that deep.

Rotor is part #3 in the following breakdown:

Just order the stator. The rotor has no parts to go bad.

Comment

From my understanding the rotor is just a permanent magnet, so the likelyhood of a failure there is far less than that of a dynamic component like a stator. Though I don't claim to have great deals of experience with bikes, I just went through all this recently with the RR and stator. From the reading I did on this board I found very few discussions involving the rotor. And another tip from my recent electrical woe, order yourself the paper gasket for the left side cover where the stator lies. When I replaced mine, the gasket tore and it was another week of waiting for a separate order. All over a 7.00 gasket!

Comment

Thanks guys, that's what I needed to hear!

Comment

Two things.

1. Lean the bike against a wall and the oil will run to the other side of the engine so you don't have to drain it.
          2. Use an impact screwdriver on the phillips head screws then replace them with allen head screws from the hardware store.

You'll be glad you did both.
          1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
          1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage
            Two things.

1. Lean the bike against a wall and the oil will run to the other side of the engine so you don't have to drain it.
            2. Use an impact screwdriver on the phillips head screws then replace them with allen head screws from the hardware store.

You'll be glad you did both.
            EXCELLENT suggestions!

Comment

I agree with gslim, order the gasket maybe two because they can be a little tricky, I dumped 3 quarts of oil like nobodies business on my experience. But when you see those 80 volts of AC pulsing through your machine it is worth it. Oh yes, use the stator papers again after the parts are installed and make sure your battery is in good shape.

Comment

Working...
              X