81 GS 750 Please Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 GS 750 Please Help!

OK heres the scoop. Bike ran great all summer as my daily ride. All of a sudden a miss at low speed . The #2 cyl was running cold and the plug would foul till the cyl quit all together. I changed plugs and ran ok but the miss was back in short order. I swapped plug boots with the other cyls and no different. Tried new pug boot no help. By the way, plug was dry and sooty when fouled. Checked spark with spark tester. Good spark!
    So next take out carbs. PITA!!! Anyway , cleaned #2 carb. Reinstall carbs.
    Hard to start but I got her goin. Carb #2 leaks fuel. Float? Then it stopped! Weird! Ran decent but..........then the miss came back.......then fouled the plug .......again! Plug is now wet when fouled instead of dry and sooty.

I need help! Please!

Thanks in advance!

Plug #2 is wet with what? Could it be oil? How is compression on that cyl. compared to others?

Comment

Sorry! Its wet from gas. I havent a compression tester but am going to borrow one by the end of the week.

Comment

If you have the CV carbs ? Check the petcock it connects to the #2 carb

Comment

Thanks for the reply Squaredancer! They are the BS carbs, and the #2 carb does connect to the pet. Since the other 3 carbs seem to be fine, I know flow is good .

Comment

I think Lynn meant to see if it was flooding that carb. If the petcock is bad, it may be flooding that carb. Also, make sure your float needle/seat and spring are in good shape and not blocked by any trash.

Comment

The carb isnt flooding any longer. I believe that was caused from starting it on prime after reinstalling the carbs. It took a while to fire and I think thats what caused it.
              Since all the responses to my problem have been carb related, does that mean you guys are saying it is not electrical?

Comment

I think the petcock diaphram is hosed and is leaking gas into the cylinder. you really should check for liquid gas in that vacuum line. Repair kits are available for 12 - 20 dollars for the petcock and it is easy to repair.
                1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

I pulled the vacumn line off the carb. There was a drop of gas , gave it the human test and YUCK! GAS SUCKS! Literally!

So does this mean the diaphram is shot and is there a temp fix till I get the kit?

Thanks!

Comment

I am pretty sure the petcock is the problem. I ran the bike with the petcock in all positions and fuel just poured from the vacumn line. I'll order the kit tomorrow.
                    Thanks for the help all!

Comment

As temperary measure you can plug the vacuum line from #2 and cork off the petcock nipple and use it on PRI to drive the bike, just remember to turn it off when you shut the bike down.

I like the automatic feture though.
                      1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                      1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
                      X