What size chain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What size chain?

I have a 79 GS550L. The chain is stretched to the point where the indicators are at the 2nd to last mark on the rear frame. Its the original chain with no master link. How do I know what chain to get? I know it says in the owners manual that its a 110 link chain, but what are the 530's, 520's etc? Wheres the best place to buy a decent chain and not get raked over the coals? Thanx.

Bill

front sprocket 15 rear 50 530 X 110

Comment

Try www.denniskirk.com . You'll need sprockets, too or else you'll wear out that new chain in short order.

Comment

Thanx guys. I'm going to order them next week and do it over the winter months along with a full tune-up.

Bill

Comment

Well the new chain and sprockets will be going on next week. It won't wait for the winter months. Chain is really sticking and I'm afraid I'll ruin the shaft on the front from it pulling tight & loosening. Did anyone ever use this chain from Dennis Kirk? http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produc...eafCatId=41505 Its a cheap price ($24.95 for 110 link), but says it'll handle up to a 750cc and 7,480 lbs Tensile strength. I have a 79 GS550L.

Bill

Comment

Get a good o-ring chain, it will pay itself back with ease of maintenance and longevity.

Comment

I bought some similar chain from JCWhitney. I used it on a '73 CB 450. Didn't last 5,000 miles.

Comment

Thanx. I'll go with a better O-ring chain instead.

Bill

Comment

Ok .. found a good O-ring chain. Going to order the stuff Monday. I'm getting new sprockets also since these are the originals and kinda worn. If I want a little more top end speed, and I have 15 front and 50 rear now, how much will my rpms drop if I go to a 48 rear sprocket? I'm doing 6,000 rpm's at 72 mph. I don't want much, just a little less rpm for the highway.

Bill

Comment

Consider going to a 16 tooth front sprocket instead. Your chain will last longer. You can expect to run about 500 or so rpm lower, more or less.

Comment

Working...
                    X