1980 GS550E Carburetot Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS550E Carburetot Problem

I just got a 1980 GS550 E from my father and had it tuned up. Only to be told I needed to dismantle and clean the carb. I took off the carb and cleaned it and successfully put it back on. I am new to this and need to know how do I get gas back into tthe carb to re-start the bike? I only have a "On" and "Res" switch. How do I "Prime" the carb to get gas back in there for the bike to start? I am new to this and any info would be great - as I have been at this for 2 whole days now... Thanks

Well, if you hooked up the hoses correctly, by Cranking the Engine it should start sucking fuel into the float bowl. May take a while though.

When you say you've been at this a couple days, does this mean trying to "Crank" it? If so, then something isn't hooked up right.

Welcome aboard, by the way.

Comment

1980 GS550E Carburetor Problem

Sorry for the "Typo" of Carburetot - should be Carburetor. And it took me several days to clean - not crank. I only see two hoses, a front hose and the hose from the back of the carb. Are there any more hoses to hook? Marina Suzuki (which previouslt tuned the bike told me that there shoul dbe a "Prime or PRI switch... Is the answer to just keep cranking? When I spray that starter fluid in the back duct, it turns for a quick second and then goes right back off which means I am probably not getting gas in the carb itself. Like I said - I am fairly new to thisso any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks for your response

Comment

You need a service manual with pictures. I am not being sarcastic or joking.

Comment

Which service manual is the best one to get?

Comment

Factory IMHO but I also like the Clymers. In reality? I am an obsessive compulsive so I always buy a Haynes, Clymer and Factory manual for all my bikes. Each one has info the others don't. If it must be just one, get the factory manual, Clymer or Haynes, in that order.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Guess I will call Marina Suzuki to see if they have one in stock.

Comment

While there ordering one, they may have a diagram that you can look at awhile and can show you where the hoses go

Comment

Working...
                X