Changing from solid to slotted disks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing from solid to slotted disks

I was under the impression that I could simply swap slotted disks from later 850's on to my 79 GS 850 G. However, after more research it seems that the round pads on my model might not work with the later disks, you need to swap calipers and use the square pads as well. Others say that the round pads will work but a small spacer is needed because the slotted disks are thinner. From some threads I get the impression that you need to swap out the whole front end.

Anyone know the real deal, or have experience with this? Thanks.

I bolted slotted discs from an "80" GS 1100 "E", onto a "79" GS 1000 "S", and everything worked perfectly. didn't change anything else, no spacers nor nothing. Now!!! Why am I thinking the slotted discs are slightly smaller in diameter than the solid discs?????
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

On my 1000, the solid single disk is larger than the duel sloted disks. The whole front end needs swapped. I am not sure though about a duel solid to duel slotted setup? Why not just have them drilled? Any machine shop can do it. Just have them drill all the holes straight not angled and do not chamfer the holes, they must be left sharp.

Comment

On dual disk models which you have!! they are interchangable They are correct in that If you have a single disk you have to make changes

Comment

I totally forgot about the single disc models............

Comment

So if I follow this right, there is no problem just swapping later dual slotted disks to an slightly older bike that original had solid disks? :?

I don't know why the shape of the brake pad should have any bearing on whether or not the disk is slotted. :?

This is on my to-do list this winter. The solid disks on our 78 750E have always squealed a bit, regardless of what kind of pads were installed. :?

Comment

Wait until your in a rainstorm and then feel the difference. Slotted rotors clear water better and stay cooler when driven hard.
              1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
              1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
              X