Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What might've I done?? Lost screw in the engine 2K ago...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What might've I done?? Lost screw in the engine 2K ago...

Beginning wrencher continues... So I'm changing oil & filter, when, what to my surprise, a screw plops out as I pull the filter out of of it's ... uh, oil-filter-spot... what do you call it?

Anyway, after 2 sec. of shock, "What's a loose screw doing in there with the filter?"

I remember back 2,000 miles ago, June, not long after I first got this great bike... A friend was helping me do some starter maintainance (so I'd have a starting spot, or baseline, to take care of this bike properly)... put in a new battery, airfilter, changed driveline oils and engine oil & filter.

So, we had some simultaneous operations going on - at one point while I was under the left side of the bike getting the oil plug and filter stuff put back together... He was on the right side putting the right air box cover on. Anyway, he dropped one of the attachment screws... But didn't know where it went. We looked all over the ground for 20 min. Finally he got another one from his shop, and we went on putting everything back together....................... Now I know.... Obviously, the oil fill cap was off, and the screw dropped right into the engine.

SORRY FOR THE LONG STORY.... Here's my concern and question...

I think it's the original, stock air box cover screw..... 5/8" long, phillips, with a small lock washer and a bigger flat washer... all are still together. The threads are buggered up, but besides that, it looks OK.

What all is down there?
    And what might have been damaged?
    Could this contribute to any of my little oil leaks around various places, like the lower right side of the engine?
    Is there anything that I should be on the watch out for (sounds, performance changes, etc.) ??

I guess it's - the not knowing something was down in there that's not supposed to be - that's got me a little freaked out.
    It's been running fine all summer, and I went for a good ride after the oil change last night... and all seems the same.

Thanks for all info, stories and education Greg

From the oil-filler cap, it probably went down into the oil pan and worked it's way to the oil filter. You maybe got lucky.

Noise is your best indicator. If that screw got somewhere it wasn't supposed to be - you'd hear it bigtime. It doubt if it has anything to do with your leaks.

Ace.

Comment

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :P :P
      But if you still feel like tinkering with it, use this flowsheet: :roll:

Comment

So as you can see from the flowsheet above, it's just never a problem

I would say if you have it out and all is well then, well, all is well. Count your blessings and move on.

Comment

Yay... Thanks for the piece of mind and also that flow chart. I already printed it out... and I certainly agree with the, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" mantra.

Anyway, my concern was because I don't have the years of knowledge regarding the mechanicals that many of you do...But still, I figured a chunk of metal floating around in the engine can't be a good thing.

I am trying to get a bit more knowledge about my bike, studying the owner's manual, a Clymer's manual, and searching around reading this site.

So I'm amazed that it didn't do any harm... Is there enough of a flow, to immediately wash it from beneath the oil fill tube, and right into the oil filter area?? Then, where does the oil go... through the filter, then the hole in the back wall, then where??
          I thought the clutch was down in that area??

If you knew you dropped a screw (I didn't till yesterday) down the fill tube... WHAT WOULD YOU DO?? No, really?? That could be a huge problem couldn't it??

Thanks for all info.... And also funny charts... Greg

Comment

I had the same chart translated into Japanese when I worked overseas and handed it out with technical manuals. Mine was PG rated though, not R. Summed up the rules for the curious.
            1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
            1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
            X