Adjusting the pressure in the shocks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adjusting the pressure in the shocks?

I have air front and rear. What is the best way to adjust these? I way past putting air in and taking air out, so don't say that ok?

Personally I don't use any air in the forks, either bike.
    I run 20weight oil.

How "stiff" a ride do you want?

Look in your manual or on the fork leg as to the range of air pressures.
    Keith
    -------------------------------------------
    1980 GS1000S, blue and white
    2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

I run about 8 to 12 lbs in my fronts. Depends if I have the quarter fairing on or not. I use a regulated flow air compressor so as to not over inflate and damage them. After I fill them a few lbs too full I let them down with the pressure gauge until both are the same. A better way to balance them is to use the connecting tube kit that links them together with only one air valve for the pair then.

If your using stock springs and stock recommended oil then you will need some pressure in them or it will be to slushy. If you make them to stiff you're going to have a fun experience when making leaning turns on bumpy surfaces.

Comment

I use a "Progressive Suspention" syringe (I think you can buy one through JC Whitney for about $20) Each full syringe stroke delivers the same volume of air so with a little experimentation (and a good pressure gage) you can determine the exact # of strokes to put in for the type of ride you want. For example, on my bike I've found that in the rear shocks 4 is good for single riding and 6 is perfect for two up. For the front it's either 3 of 4. No need to check the pressure anymore becaue it will always be the same for a given # of strokes...

Comment

Working...
        X