1985 Suzuki GS700 ** SWINGING ARM PROBLEM**

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1985 Suzuki GS700 ** SWINGING ARM PROBLEM**

Ok guys, I need your advise on some thing with the GS700ES I just bought on Sat.

It running fine, handles great BUT, tonight I went to adj the chain and found that the right side of the swinging arm on the bottom flang right in front of the axle is a break about 1" long going to the back of the bike.

I did email the last owner of this bike tonight and he said it was their when he bought that bike and have driven the bike more then 12,000 mile like that. I did indicate that I thought it was a safty problem, and he said that he had it check with a few dealers indicated that the bike was safe and very safe to ride.

Question: Is this bike really safe to ride, and should I think about trying to replace it

Whether it is safe to ride depends on the crack getting bigger or the part failing. I would replace it since Hospitals smell bad, cost money and have lousy food.

Seriously, doesn't that crack bother the s#it out of you to think about it?
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Does it look like it could be welded? I wouldn't be too comfortable with a crack in a part that holds a wheel....

Comment

Welding on the swingarm may be a no-no unless your really careful. If the arm is heated too much it may not be safe any longer. You have to be careful what you heat up.
        1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
        1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

I bought a spare swingarm off ebay a few months ago for about $20. Pain in the a$$ to swap out, but that might be an option.

Good Luck, Ed.
          1983 GS750ED
          2005 GSF1200SZ

Comment

tell ya what, just sell the bike to me real cheap 8)

Comment

any crack in a swing arm is not good.

your best bet for fixing it is to find a welder certified to do aircraft welding.
              they will most likly will require you to take the swing arm off and bring it in.

Comment

Working...
              X