Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Handlebar lock and my tail light. What gives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Handlebar lock and my tail light. What gives?

I was parking in DC the other night, and I thought I might use the lock feature on my bike. But when I turn the key to 'lock' the tail light comes on. Just the tail light. Bad lock cylinder, maybe? Anyone else run into this?

If you turn the lock clockwise to lock it the tail light will come on. (Some kind of parking light?!?!)
    But if you turn counter-clockwise it won't turn the tail light on.

I was worried the first time I encountered this too

Comment

Brent is right. It is meant to be a parking light for when you are on the side of the road, etc. It's a good way to make yourself conspicuous while not having to burn your headlight.

J
      16 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT with 175hp stock, no upgrades required...
      13 Yamaha WR450 with FMF pipe, Baja Designs street legal kit
      78 GS750E finely tuned with:

78 KZ1000 in pieces with:
      Rust, new ignition, burnt valves and CLEAN carbs!

History book:
      02 GSF1200S Bandit (it was awesome)
      12 Aprilia Shiver 750
      82 GS1100G

83 Kaw 440LTD

Comment

Of course, if it's coming on when you turn the key counter-clockwise, you have an issue.

Unless it's a GSF1200S.

Comment

Can't shut my bike off from the PARKING position

I just bought a GS850GL, and went for a ride- it was great, btw...

but before I cut it off, I went to try the parkingmode... now I can't get the darned thing off!!! The key is locked too- I've tried all combinations, holding in the brakes, the clutch, anything I can think of to get the darned key to turn to the OFF position so the light will cut out...

I even whipped out the manual for this 1982 bike, and the manual tells you how to get IN to this mode, but not how to get OUT of it.

Nothing is working. I'm afraid that the light will be on all night and the brand new battery will drain. What can I try to get this bike off? The key comes out just fine, but won't turn no matter if I turn it, or push in and turn.

Ideas?

Comment

can't shut it off

Turn the fuel petcock to off, and disconnect the ground lead of the battery. But I have no idea how to fix the basic problem.

Tom
            sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Try putting a little left turn pressure on the handlebars while you try to turn the key.

Comment

Originally posted by FTGRET
                Try putting a little left turn pressure on the handlebars while you try to turn the key.
                yep, wiggle the bars!
                it takes very little pressure on the steering lock pin to keep you from being able to turn the key.
                if wiggling the bars left right while trying to turn the key does not work, than something else is wrong with the lock or steer lock mechanism.

Comment

Parking Light

I wanted to add to some of what has already been written and correct one issue. First there should be 2 lock positions on your ignition switch. If you turn the key to the LEFT you are in fact locking the steering column and the tail lamp should NOT be lit, this is usefull for daylight parking, in your garage or where ever you want to lock your bike and not need a parking lamp lit. This makes no difference if you turn your handlebars to the left or right the lamp will not light. If you turn your key to the RIGHT this is in fact the PARKING position where your handlebars do in fact still lock however this time your parking lamp will be lit, obviously for parking at night on a side street or anywhere else you may need to lock your bike and leave a parking lamp lit. This also make no difference if your handle bars are turned left or right that lamp will go on and if you look at your wiring print in the park position this closes the red and brown wires in the circuit turning on the tail lamp. I am referring to my 1982 GS850GLZ, however I can't believe yours would be any different, although I could be wrong, I am just saying what my bike and wiring print show.
                  As far as not being able to release your lock and the key comes out, the key coming out is normal, it should come out, however is there anything like a fork bag or fairing on your bike that could in fact be putting pressure on the lock if it is being crunched? On the steering head there is a notch cut into it and when you put the ignition in either the left lock position or the right parking position this causes a metal post to come out of the ignition switch on the back side and engage that notch in the steering head. Sounds like there is pressure on that lock like parking your car on a incline and trying to get it out of park, the trans has back pressure on it and you have to force it out of park. I would try pushing the handlebars in the direction they are facing and then try releasing the key. You have pressure on that lock and that is why you are having difficulty releasing the mechanism. See what could be causing the pressure like a bag etc.. Once you do release the lock make sure your ignition is in deed secure with the 2 internal wrenching bolts (allen head). Should these have worked their way loose even a little it might cause the ignition switch to shift and cause the pressure that is causing the problem, that is just a hunch, or if your ignition switch is a after market part it might not fit exactly as your original, just another guess.
                  Make note of that position, lock is to the left no lamp lit and right is to the park position, park lamp lit, no matter what position the steering column faces...
                  Good Luck...

Comment

The original owner came by to help me out- I couldn't tell if he tugged on the handlebars (which I had tried) or what, but one thing he did with the greatest of ease was turn the key off.

I think the clutch had to be ALL the way in, and in my desperate attempts to cut it, I think maybe I didn't have the clutch in ALL the way. Still, at this point, I'd be uncomfortable trying to simulate this again, because I'm not sure it'll work as smoothly next time.

He told me that he had never read the manual, and only switches the bike between on and off...never the lock or park settings. He didn't even know about them.

Does anyone know how long a new battery could have kept that light on? Does anyone here use the parking feature overnight so cars can see the bike and not clip it? I'm curious how long the battery could have lasted.

Comment

Other things to try

Additionally (for the benefit of anyone else in this situation)

We tried rocking the bike...much like brycraft mentioned here, it was a consideration that maybe the trans was locked, so rocking the bike would free it of its problems.

I also tried pushing down while turning the key. This wasn't helping, but I know to get into the mode, you need to apply slight pressure to turn it to lock or park. Obviously, if you turn it clockwise to get to those modes, counter-clockwise is how you get out of it.

(thank you to everyone who posted here. this is a great community!)

I'll take a look at your suggestion of it possibly being loose, brycraft- sometime when it's light out. Seems like it's dark all the time here in Virginia now...

Comment

Where in VA are you?

Comment

I had the problem of getting the ignition switch stuck in parking mode the first day I got it home. Unfortunately for me, though, the key could not be turned back into position. Something in the lock seized up.

I removed the whole ignition switch assembly, and could not get it to turn back. I then removed the lock cylinder from the ignition, and I was able to turn the switch and parking tab back and forth easily. I reinstalled it and used a screwdriver to turn the bike on and off for about a week or two, till I got a new ignition switch and key off of ebay.

What a pain in the butt. I am sure that the previous owners never turned the key to those other positions, so there was probably some corrosion. I tried all sorts of penetrating oils , lubricants, etc to free it up. No good.

Matt

Comment

Working...
                          X