Breaking in new tires.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breaking in new tires.....

I just bought a set of Bridgestone Battleaxe BT45's. They havent got here yet but when they do I was thinking of scrubbing them down really well with some high grit sandpaper to try and speed up the breakin process. After reading a bunch of stuff I am pretty worried about dumping the bike with the new tires.

Would I be wasting my time with the sandpaper idea?

How long do I need to ride easy before I can go back to normal riding habits?

What do I need to look for on/with the tire to let me know that they are sufficently broken in?

This is the first set of new motorcycle tires I have ever messed with so, the breakin procedure is new to me.

Thanks very much in advance.

yes, you would be wasting your time. The tire 'breaks in' more than just roughing up the new surface. During install, the lube they use needs to 'dry out' all the way, otherwise you risk actually spinning the tire on the rim when you 'goose' the throttle. Plus the belts and cords need to 'flex in' to their permenant placement. usually this process takes about 150-200 miles before you can really 'get on it', and even then, I would be cautious if you ride like the cops are chasing you or something. I break mine in by just riding 'normally', speed limit and easy on the curves, until that mileage has passed, then cautiously working up to my 'normal' riding. As for how I know when broken in, for me, it is just a 'feel' thing, if that makes sense, hard to describe.

Comment

as I Have been told, it's a heat process. The tires need to come to life via riding heat and it takes about 100 miles. I'm sure that the next post may say it a centrafugial (like that one!) process and it too will take... about 100 miles. yeah, 100 miles... wapner at 5:00...

mike

Comment

All of the above! .....You where wrong Mike ,did not mention centrifugal ( one of the few big word's that I can spell) once!

Comment

Originally posted by gspaul
          All of the above! .....You where wrong Mike ,did not mention centrifugal ( on of the few big word's that I can spell) once!
          Yea, but its the small words that get ya. :P

Comment

OK! I fixed it...........Damn you Bret

Comment

Originally posted by gspaul
              All of the above! .....You where wrong Mike ,did not mention centrifugal ( one of the few big word's that I can spell) once!

Damn! I did say centrifugal in that post :? ..........Just can't win tonight! ](*,)

Comment

Comment

As mentioned earlier, it's a heat thing. Your tire needs to be heated up to full operating temp and cooled down again... at least one cycle. How long that takes will depend on ambient air temperature as well as other things.

The other thing that needs to be done is the mold-release agent needs to be 'scrubbed' off the tire... that's the stuff that'll put you on the ground in no time if you don't take it easy.

I usually force myself to drive slow and easy for 50 miles and then gradually ramp up to my usual...

Comment

I took my new Pirelli's out for a normal ride through the twisties and rode it hard. They felt the same as my 'broken in old tires' so I had no issues.

Just get out there and ride on em!

~Adam

Comment

You've not Chris Daniel from Bristol I used to despatch ride with just emigrated, sold your GT and bought a GS? If so here's a tip:

Get on bike, start it up
                      Engage front brake
                      drop it into first and rev til the tyre smokes, :twisted:

lean the bike from side to side to scrub up all
                      the surface area.

This is also recommended before taking a cold
                      back tyre out onto wet greasy streets/roads.

Front is a bit trickier but my brother used to mount a
                      sprocket on his front wheel which he drove from a chainsaw.

Comment

Nope, I am from Amarillo, Texas. I actually have never even been to Bristol.

So basically, I need to get them mounted and balanced, then be easy with them for about 100 miles then get back into to normal procedure?

I am all for burnouts believe me........its just that these tires are too expensive to do that with. Now, these old Dunlops, I may give them a good smoking before they go to tire heaven.

Thanks guys. I appreciate it.

Comment

I just scrubbed in a 591SP and a Sport Demon out back last week. I've never considered heat or mileage as the issue.

More a matter of leaning the bike over gradually till the tire is scrubbed to full lean angle on enough corners on both sides.

The first turn I went through, a 90 degree right hander, at 35mph, the rear just smeared around. The mold release agent was shinning bright on this tire. The front felt planted from the get go.

The abrasion from the asphalt is the scrubber. I ran errands around town accumulating 40 miles on the clock. The tires were sufficiently scrubbed.

The following day I went on an 800 mile ride. The tires worked great throughout. 720 miles were corners.
                          GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Working...
                          X