carb clean/rebuild.. should I get rebuild kits or just gaske

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carb clean/rebuild.. should I get rebuild kits or just gaske

As best I can tell these carbs haven't been touched (1977 GS-550). I'll probably get into them this weekend. I've heard that the rebuild kits don't have all the o-rings? I'm tempted to only replace stuff that really needs it (gaskets if they fall apart, etc)..

Just trying to not replace things that don't need it... I suspect internal o-rings will probably be okay anyway and float valves are easy to inspect/test for damage..etc..

Of course, I'll replace all the external screws with hex cap screws (got a bunch of those lying around)...

On really old carbs that you suspect haven't been serviced in a long time or maybe never at all, I would replace everything you can. The parts don't cost that much and are fairly easy to obtain. Be sure to fully disassemble them and dip the carb bodies in some carb dip as well as all metallic parts. Clean everything out with carb cleaner before and after you dip. Replace all o-rings and gaskets and it is a good idea to put in new float needles and seats too. Do it right and you wont have as much trouble.

Comment

Are the k&l rebuild kits that z-1 enterprises has good enough? I'd just as soon get the stuff ordered.. and of course would rather not have to order all the little parts one at a time ;-)

Comment

I have used the K&L kits already and they were fine. One thing to note though is the kits I got came with the wrong pilot jets. It wasn't an issue since I didn't need to replace them anyway. I simply cleaned and reinstalled the old ones. Just use new o-rings on them though. But that was for my bike, yours may come correctly.

Robert Barr for the o-rings:

Comment

Now that just contuses the whole issue.. The K&L kits appear to come with some o-rings.. you're suggesting I buy a whole nother set of o-rings as well ast the K&L rebuild kit? Or buy the o-ring set, new gaskets, new float needles and seats instead of the rebuild kit?

I just hate wasting money on things I don't need, and o-rings lying around in drawers (even properly labeled) will likely just go to waste.

Comment

Originally posted by braindead0
            Now that just contuses the whole issue.. The K&L kits appear to come with some o-rings.. you're suggesting I buy a whole nother set of o-rings as well ast the K&L rebuild kit? Or buy the o-ring set, new gaskets, new float needles and seats instead of the rebuild kit?

I just hate wasting money on things I don't need, and o-rings lying around in drawers (even properly labeled) will likely just go to waste.
            Honestly, the rebuild kits are a waist. I would order separately. Get new float needles and seats. Get new gaskets for the bowls and the tops and the float needle seats. Order an o-ring kit from Robert. Everything else can most likely be cleaned and reused unless worn out which you wont know until you open and inspect. The rebuild kits don't give you all the o-rings that you will need since you should replace them all. All the jets will most likely be fine. The needles are usually good to but must be inspected for wear.

Robert's o-ring kit is going to save you a gob of time and money.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar

Honestly, the rebuild kits are a waist. I would order separately. Get new float needles and seats. Get new gaskets for the bowls and the tops and the float needle seats. Order an o-ring kit from Robert. Everything else can most likely be cleaned and reused unless worn out which you wont know until you open and inspect. The rebuild kits don't give you all the o-rings that you will need since you should replace them all. All the jets will most likely be fine. The needles are usually good to but must be inspected for wear.

Thanks, that sounds like the way to go then. I already need to order the cam chain tensioner gasket anyway (why doesn't that come in the gasket set..sheesh ;-)

Any idea where to get float valves for a good price? They run $26.95each on bikebandit.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar

Thanks, that sounds like the way to go then. I already need to order the cam chain tensioner gasket anyway (why doesn't that come in the gasket set..sheesh ;-)

Any idea where to get float valves for a good price? They run $26.95each on bikebandit.

hmmm, see now I got mine from the rebuild kits. Try Orient Express.

Anyone else know where he can get them at a good price?

Comment

Might just have to order the kits ($13.99 each so far).. I could just throw away the extra stuff at that price ;-) I searched around on the net a bit, with no luck so far...

Maybe tonight I'll pull a bowl and see what inside, perhaps if I'm lucky someone had recently rebuilt the carbs anyway.. I was really surprise how well this bike ran (pretty darned good really) after sitting 2 years with the same fuel and really fouled up spark plugs...even idled pretty nicely....

Comment

Just check the kits you order. They have different kits and some have more or less in them. Some have needles some don't. You have to know what's in them. If you can buy kits with float needles and seats for that price then it is for sure the way to go It should also have the gaskets you need then and should give you a few spare jets and o-rings then as well.

Comment

According to the picture (at least) the K&L kit listed on z-1 enterprises website has the float valve, seat, gaskets, pilot/main jet...few other bits.. no needles, but with 19k original miles it shouldn't be a problem there..

Thanks again for the advice on this....

Comment

Sounds like the kit you want buddy

Let us know how it works out.

Rock on 8)

Comment

Working...
                        X