Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

chain rubbing on center stand...HELP!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

chain rubbing on center stand...HELP!!!!!!

I've noticed that my chain has been rubbing on the center stand. I tightened the chain to the point that it's not rubbing anymore, but after only a week of commuting on the bike (17 miles each way), the chain is rubbing again. What's going on here? Am I missing a rubber whosit that causes the center stand to sit a little lower? Are the sprockets and chain wearing at light speed?

It was only a year and a half ago that the chain slipped off the rear sprocket at 35 mph causing all kinds of horrible things to happen under the front sprocket cover. I'm close to the end of the chain tension adjusters. Is it time to replace the chain and sprockets?

If your close to the end of adjustment marks Jeff yes. But you also could be missing the rubber stop that goes on the center stand like you said. The two problems would work against each other to create the issue your describing. It makes sense. Is your chain o-ring or standard right now? When the chain was put on, where new sprockets put on with it?

Comment

Leela has a long and sordid history...

She's been abused and neglected by some people. She came to me "as-is" from a brother-in-law who cared to actually try to clean her up and put her back together.

All this to say that I have no idea what kind of chain is on her or when the chain and sprockets were last replaced. :roll:

I also think I'm missing the rubber thingy.

Comment

I can't believe it, a technical question that I may be able to shed some light on!

I recently tore my 80 1100E apart. When I put it back together, a quick ride resulted in the same problem. I realized I'd failed to re-install the stop for the center stand. The stop on my bike is a bent strip of metal about 4X1" that connects with the passenger peg.

Comment

Once a chain has worn significantly, it goes out of adjustment very quickly. While the stop on the center stand may be an issue, it sounds as if you also need to replace the chain and sprockets.

Don't replace the chain and not the sprockets- you must replace the whole setup!!
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Thanks y'all!! I don't believe I have the rubber stop for the center stand anymore. I think it was gone when I got the bike. I even got the center stand from someone, Nose I think, after I'd tried working on the thing while it was on the side stand. :roll:

I'll add replacing the chain and sprockets to my list of things to do this winter.

Comment

Working...
            X