How to get pistons out of rear caliper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to get pistons out of rear caliper?

OK, I have the seals to re-build my draging rear caliper. How do I force the pistons out to hone an dput new seals in them?? Compressed air, grease gun?

Air pressure is the trick buddy. I used a bicycle pump, and fabricated a fitting for the bleed screw. Make sure your fingers aren't in there, and use a rag or something to prevent the piston getting dinged when it fires out like a gunshot...
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Compressor OK?

Here ar work we have a rubber tipped blow off tool hooked to a 120 psi compressor will that work, or too powerfull? :twisted:

Comment

Re: Compressor OK?

Originally posted by shortlid
        Here ar work we have a rubber tipped blow off tool hooked to a 120 psi compressor will that work, or too powerfull? :twisted:
        That's what I used but I had the pressure dialed back to about 30 - 40 PSI. 120 may be a bit much I would think.

Comment

When I did it, I pumped the handle on the bike pump once, the gauge on the pump showed about 50lbs, and in about 30 seconds the piston shot out like a bullet. I was surprised it didn't crack the cast housing of the brake caliper or damage the piston, but it did dent the housing. Make sure your hand isn't in there...
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Definitely dial it back to start. If it doesn't come out then I would slowly up the pressure. In addition to making sure there is something soft for it to hit when it comes out (it really blasts out of there even with lower pressure), look out for brake fluid spraying out all over the place.

I had a piston that wouldn't come out even with a full 125 PSI from my compressor. I finally got it out by putting the caliper in a vice (padded jaws) and using two screwdrivers prying up under the lip on the piston from both sides - I put popsicle sticks under the screwdrivers to keep from damaging the caliper housing. Then thicker wood shims as it got further out. It was a bear, but I finally got it.

It's also easier if you don't split the caliper halfs - that just make one more hole for the air to leak out.

Good luck

Comment

Can't get it out!!

OK I can't ap[ply anough pressure with out leaking with the blow off tool.!! Will a hose attached some where work?

Comment

On really sticky ones, I have reconnected the lines and used the brake pedal.

Comment

Pull the wheel.

Remove the pads.

PLace small piece of wood between piston and caliper.

Step on rear brake pedal.

Mop up brake fluid.
                  1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                  1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Shortlid, Lots of useful suggestions here, all of which work in some fashion or other. I prefer to wrap the entire caliper completely in a grease rag, leaving the brake fluid line port where you can reach it with a rubber-tipped air nozzle. My nozzle has a fairly long lever so I can begin with low pressure and slowly increase it until it pops the piston out. You ARE going to spray fluid out, but the rag will keep that from painting your shop space, and the rag will more or less prevent the piston from bopping the spouse in the head in the event that you're doing this in your living room while watching football... After you've separated the piston out and performed your hone/polish, do yourself a favor and open the bleeder nipple when you begin to rinse out the caliper with whatever solvent you prefer to use.

Comment

Re-connected an only ONE came out??

Ok, used the hydro. system (rear brake master cyl. to push the piston out. I even put the wood wedge in there. But it only poped one piston out the other moved a bit but would not make it the rest of the way!!

Any other ideas guys?

Comment

Yep, when one comes out and the other doesn't, it gets tougher since you can't pressurize the system. See my previous post with instructions on prying it out. If you go slowly, pad things, and work evenly from both sides, you can do it without damaging anything... It might be easier if you split the caliper - you can get better access to it that way.

Good luck

Comment

If you remove and drain it life will be easier on you. Simply plug the joining hole shut with a plug and finger and then pressurize with a blow nossle with rubber tip like described above. It WILL pop out of there. Follow the precautions mentioned, be careful.

Comment

Re: Re-connected an only ONE came out??

Originally posted by shortlid
                            Ok, used the hydro. system (rear brake master cyl. to push the piston out. I even put the wood wedge in there. But it only poped one piston out the other moved a bit but would not make it the rest of the way!!

Any other ideas guys?
                            If you reinsert the one that came out, then use a C-clamp to keep it from coming all the way out, then the pressure will be applied to the stubborn one.

Comment

What ever you do-- DO NOT USE CHANNEL-LOCKS!!!

Previous owner of my Honda destroyed piston this way. Took me 2 months to get another to the tune of $85.00. Do not reach for channel locks, maybe a strap-wrench, but no channel locks!

Comment

Working...
                              X