Better gas mileage with 89 octane!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Better gas mileage with 89 octane!

Well, I thought it was a fluke, but after running three tanks of mid-grade 89 octane unleaded, I'm sure I'm averaging 60 mpg where I used to average about 57mpg on 87 octane. Anybody else had a similar experience? I switched because of the heat wave causing some high oil temps and rattling if the throttle was opened more than halfway at revs under 5k. The 89 octane fixed the rattling but the extra 3mpg was an unexpected bonus.

I find my bike likes the 89 octane better as well. Not sure how much it affects my mileage, but the machine seems to sound and pull better with the 89.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I have confirmed the same thing in several gas burning engines of mine over the years. If your having top end issues or pre detonation issues and you run a higher octane fuel to quiet the engine down then the improved economy comes along for the ride since the engine is now running better.

Comment

I ALWAYS USE 93 OCTANE. I THINK ITS RECOMENDED FOR MY 1979 GS750L. I USE 93 IN EVERYTHING, MY TRUCK, DIRTBIKE, LAWNMOWER, WEEDWACKER. I SOMETIMES PUT 110 OCTANE IN MY GS AND MAN, ITS AN ANIMAL, THERES DEFINATELY LIKE A 10-15 HORSEPOWER GAIN. AND IS SMELLS SWEAT TOO. TOO BAD ITS 5.99 A GALLON.

Comment

Where in the HE** do you get 110 Octane? Are you just using a boast added to the 93?

Comment

Originally posted by Tarbash 27
            I ALWAYS USE 93 OCTANE. I THINK ITS RECOMENDED FOR MY 1979 GS750L. I USE 93 IN EVERYTHING, MY TRUCK, DIRTBIKE, LAWNMOWER, WEEDWACKER. I SOMETIMES PUT 110 OCTANE IN MY GS AND MAN, ITS AN ANIMAL, THERES DEFINATELY LIKE A 10-15 HORSEPOWER GAIN. AND IS SMELLS SWEAT TOO. TOO BAD ITS 5.99 A GALLON.
            Just to be technical... and a pain in the butt... There is no such thing as 110 octane.

Comment

I use 89 all the time and my 79 750L runs great on that. I tried to use 87 once and it didn't like that too well.

And yes there is 110 octane gas. The gas station near my local dirt race track sells it as race fuel. I couldn't afford to run it in my bike though. It should never cost me more than $10 for a tank of gas.

Comment

Originally posted by ringo00
                I use 89 all the time and my 79 750L runs great on that. I tried to use 87 once and it didn't like that too well.

And yes there is 110 octane gas. The gas station near my local dirt race track sells it as race fuel. I couldn't afford to run it in my bike though. It should never cost me more than $10 for a tank of gas.
                There is no such thing as a 110% octane to heptane ratio. The fuel may have a "performance rating" of 110 but not octane. 87 octane gasoline is a mixture of 87% octane and the remaining 13% is usually heptane or other hydrocarbons with a shorter carbon chain or methanol.

Comment

There is no such thing as a 110% octane to heptane ratio. The fuel may have a "performance rating" of 110 but not octane. 87 octane gasoline is a mixture of 87% octane and the remaining 13% is usually heptane or other hydrocarbons with a shorter carbon chain or methanol.

Comment

Comment

Sorry about the multiple posts. Blame it on Microsoft.

Comment

The highest Octane I can find is 100LL (aviation gas) at the local airport. I can't help but think it costs over five dollars a gallon now. The last time I went flying, about three years ago, it was hovering around 2.20 to 2.50/gal.

Matt

Comment

BETTER GAS WITH 89 OCTANE

WE USED TO HAVE A GAS STATION NEAR ME THAT HAD 100 OCTANE
                          BUT THAT WAS RUNNING 3.25/GAL WHEN GAS WAS ONLY 1.50-1.75
                          A GALLON
                          THEY STOPPED SELLING IT ANYMORE

AS FOR THE BIKE I USUALLY TRY TO RUN ONE TANK OF HIGHTEST TO
                          3 TANKS REGULAR

AVERAGE 44-51 PER GAL

85 GS550L

Comment

Nothing gets em going like an octane thread. Rumor has it someone quit the GS resources over a flaming post about it.

Definately better performance on 93 for my bike. Running the same route everyday on low test I noticed a big difference in mileage, idle (especially in hot weather) and no more pinging when I went back to decent gas.

But until the porky oil companies and Our Friends the Saudis see a decrease in gallons sold we are going to pay through the nose for Super. Personally I don't mind paying 80 cents a tank more for better fuel. My cars have computers that adjust for cheap gas but the GS does not.

And I give thanks for the lack of computer controls it has.
                            1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                            1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Everyone has their own opinion on it. I use 93 octane generally unless I can't get it. The bike runs fine on any octane generally.

As for the 110 octane adding 10-15 horsepower...that is a lie. Octane alone will not add any power, only advancing the timing and raising the compression ratio that requires the higher octane fuel (to burn slower) will raise horsepower.

~Adam

Comment

Working...
                              X