Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Riding in the snow?

Hi guys,
    I was over at the local bike wreckers and they told me there are three guys riding GS400s all winter long in Ottawa. I guess I am going to be rider number four, have you guys got any tips? Maybe the wreckers just want my bike so they are tricking me into crashing it. :?

I am going to get a set of dual sport Ching Shings (or whatever that crap brand is) put on the bike even though I have been told that won't be necessary. I was told not to ride during the night because of black ice and I agree with that.

How will my battery cope with the cold, will I be out of luck at some temperature? My battery is new but is was boiled dry once. Hopefully the battery issue won't come about because the bike is going to be in a parking garage during the nights and there is a hot air exhaust I can park on top of at school. I used to park my mountain bike on it during the winter so the snow would always get melted off of it.

Oh yeah, the round trip to school and back is a mere 3km on a 60km/h road. Trucks aren't allowed on the road because it leads directly to the Parliament Buildings.

Thanks, Steve

I beleive the crap tires to which you refer are called Cheng Shin, as I'm about to get a set of the crap tires as well...

I'm terribly curious about this question as well, more out of a desire than a necessity (knock on wood). Black ice of course is a major concern, and I know dressing in layers is a damn good idea. Other than that, so very clueless...

Comment

I ride all winter, but I'm in California. Still, in the Santa Cruz mountains, we definitely get cold weather, and usually a dusting of snow once every year or so. Black ice is definitely a concern.

Regarding the battery question, I have started my ride many mornings in sub-freezing temperatures, and my bike started just fine. That was actually my 1975 Honda, but I have no reason to believe that the Suzuki would be any different.

Biggest reccomendation: Heated vest. It is a necessity. I was concerned about charging system capability, but it seems to be fine on my Honda.

Also, when I ride in sub freezing temperatures, my hands get numb. Heated grips or heated gloves would probably help, or a fairing that protects your hands, but I don't like what a fairing does to the look of the bike, so I just suffer.

I've never ridden in snow, but I assume you will be ok as long as you go SLOWLY. You'll probably have less traction than a dirt bike has, plus you will be a lot heavier. If you are comfortable riding in the dirt, you may learn to tackle snow. (Just to qualify my response, I'm not a dirt rider). Personally, I would be tempted to find alternate transportation on days where it is actually an appreciable amount of snow on the roads.

Comment

Steve:

A word of caution on this subject ...no matter how many things you think may qualify, when you count up the most important safety items on your bike, the total will never exceed two. Everything is totally dependant on them.

Hint: Both of them are round and black.

Everytime you get on the bike, you bet your life on their performance.

Literally
        Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

I flew to Ottawa from Vancouver for the first time in late September. What a beautiful city! I need another two weeks there to see all the sights and museums I missed. Anyway, I was surprised to see so few light trucks and SUVs in a town with a real winter. Here in Vancouver we only see a few inches of snow each year and half the vehicles on the road are 4WD (few of those ever leave the pavement except to seek out a ditch - reckless drivers here).

Comment

Hi Al,
            a lot of people around here have winter wheels that they put on their vehicles. Besides that a FWD car is better than a 4x4 for winter city driving anyway. When I had my 88 Cavalier I used to go up some pretty good hills with the snow so deep it would come over my hood so I don't understand the need for a 4x4 except as expensive insurance.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Al Munro
              Here in Vancouver we only see a few inches of snow each year and half the vehicles on the road are 4WD (few of those ever leave the pavement except to seek out a ditch - reckless drivers here).
              Strike 'Vancouver', insert 'Denver'... thanks...

Comment

Originally posted by xcvii90
                I've never ridden in snow, but I assume you will be ok as long as you go SLOWLY.
                I would say that depends on what bike you are riding, I rode my Honda 500 four 1978 with not too many problems in the snow, actually quite fun.

I tried my former Honda CBX 1047 1979 VERY SLOWLY in the snow, and almost didn't make it back in to the garage.....

Last year it was still snow on the driveway (but not on the road) then I toke out my GS 1150 1984, and it was not easy to handle the GS on the snowy driveway, so I would not try it on a snowy roads, at least not with stock tires. 8O

Comment

Steve, may I reccomend a St. Chistopher medal ?!

Comment

Wow

And I thought that I was the only one thinking" hmmm. O would like to ride my 500lb bahemoth in the snow. I mean, it could crack my leg in half if the bike falls on it. But who gives a damn! All the cagers think that I am crazy!

I talked to a "buddy" yesterday that said he would open a door into a cyclist who was lane splitting here in oregon. I was thinking, so you would willingly injure or even kill someone who was doing nothing to harm or inconveniace you? Wow. I wish that people would understand that motorcycles are THE answer to the congestion question.

Comment

I would have no problem riding in the winter provided the following conditions were met: the temperature was above the freezing point, the road was completelly dry, and there was zero p.o.p. This would preclude you from sliding on an unforeseen patch of ice. Caution would have to be used when negotiating corners where gravel, sand and salt collect.
                      If you plan on making the trip on an 1100, then even more caution must be used. I plan on riding my bike through the winter when ideal conditions present themselves, however my bike is my toy-not my main source of transportation. The thought of you getting caught out there in the snow on two wheels makes me cringe. Don't do it.

Comment

saw a guy on that ER show on some cable channel, well he was riding out in the snow at night and busted up his arm, his bone was poking way out of his arm and he was a total ass to everyone :?

Comment

What's a St Christophers medal? St Christopher must have been some bonehead that would go his own way just like me right? :P

Steve

Comment

St. Christopher is the Saint for travellers.

I don't know about your GS400, Steve, having never been on one, but I believe a low centre of gravity is better for winter riding, and my 1100G sure does not qualify there.

My old Moto Guzzi weighed in about the same as the GS1100, but had a very low C.G. It went through snow, up to five fresh inches of it, with no problem, and great fun. Very different tires than what I use now...they were excellent in off-road, snow or other unusual situations...I quite enjoyed winter riding on that bike.

Apart from the worries of wet ice, or ice under a thin covering of snow, SAND is what will really get you. It's everywhere on city streets and highways, soon as snow falls and stay until heavy rain washes it off in spring.

The problem with sand is universal, regardless of your riding skills: you can't see it, but when you hit it, your bike will choose its own direction, exactly as though you put the bike on ball bearings. Try riding at summer speeds through turns or curves and its guaranteed you will see a hospital before winter ends.

(I've used 3 lanes on Dundas St at Bathurst in Toronto...from the curb right over streetcar tracks....not a trace of snow...just invisible sand)

Even your tires act differently, because they were intended to be used on warm surfaces, and will be harder in winter, thus giving less traction at all times.

Wind chill is not just something they talk about in weather forecasts....
                            Obviously your hands and legs will get cold, but I've even had my cheeks frozen ...you could literally knock on them and I could not talk until they thawed. Admittedly, that was a cold day...close to Zero Fahrenheit and 80MPH for about 30 minutes....but I also had a windshield..... 8O

You have no choice but to adapt to winter riding conditions.
                            Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

I ride my DRZ400 in the winter on short trips when the roads are clear of snow, and ice. With dual sport tires, the sand isn,t as dangerous but you should be aware of it. The road salt will corrode everything it gets a chance to so keep the bike clean. I can't comment on riding a GS in the winter, but I would sugjest some agresive tread tires for the sand, an stay off the snow on roads with other traffic. Only ride on ice if you have metal ice studs, otherwise forget it.

Comment

Working...
                              X