Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jump started bike with wires crossed, help help!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jump started bike with wires crossed, help help!!!!

I was teaching my girlfriend to ride, had to jump start the bike, she crossed the wires on her side, blew a fuse, blew up a battery. I replaced both, still have no electric to the ignition switch, head lights, etc. where do i look next?? is there an ignition control module i need to replace. Does anyone have a good wiring diagram for a 1980 GS 1000L?? please help!! need to ride to mexico soon

thanks,
    chefmikeyp

no lights sounds like you cooked a wire not an ignition module. check your main grounds from the battery first.you dont need a diagram for that.

Comment

Mike, PM me with your email, I can send you a (JPG file) a color schematic, if that will help.

If no power to ignition switch, headlights ectera, and fuses all good, and battery charged, then must be you still have some wire either disconnected or burnt/fried/melted open somewhere.

When you say "no power", I assume you mean you are checking with a meter. You will need a meter, or at least one of those probes with a light to check voltage.

You can just look around at all wiring looking for obvious damage, if the damage is obvious, but if it was obvious , you would have seen it already. Or better yet, start at battery and check voltages with meter each step of the way from battery to fuse box and ignition switch, since you may not be able to see the damage.

When you say "no power", if you mean just no headlight-taillights, then problem could also be in the ground wiring from battery negitive to frame ground.

Once you find and fix problem of no power to ignition switch, then...then you can think about your ignition module.

Ride to Mexico you say? Do it next weekend and I recommend that maybe you can join up with the Texas Hill Country ride (north of SanAntonio) if youy are going anywere in that direction.
      http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
      Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Sounds like you broke a wire from the high current... if that is the case it might not be very fun to attempt to locate, but has to be done to get it working again.

A simple ohmmeter and doing a series of continuity tests should help you find the problem. Any wires with an infinite load are obviously broken, simply replace and should be fine.

Any wire with a resistance greater than 4 ohms likely needs to be replaced (usually a broken wire will read inifnite resistance, and this is probably what you should expect if this is infact the problem.)

Comment

Actually REDMAN's suggestion to voltage test would probably be easier, since doing a resistance test would mean disconnecting the wires or insuring for certain there is no other closed path in the circuit you are testing (too easy to error on this).

Comment

found the wire

found the wire, got the bike running, now tuning for road trip.

Thanks to all!!!

Comment

Good.
              http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
              Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

sweet! have a great trip!! good to hear of another GS in CO!!

Comment

Working...
                X