Sprockets...odd or even?

Ok...here's a new one....been in a debate concerning sprockets wearing
    out a chain. The concern was that if you use even number of teeth i.e
    16/40 this will wear out a chain faster and increase vibrations than if you
    use an odd number i.e 15/40 or 16/41.....I don't see how odd or even
    would make any differance in life of chain as long as it's kept cleaned and
    lubed.........your thoughts

p.s....shafties need not reply

sounds dumb. someone is trying to sound like they know something. friction is friction. Lack of lube or just abuse will do it. Perhaps setting up a RATIO SIMPLY BY USING A MUCH SMALLER COUNTERSHAFT sprocket wil cause more strain and wear a chain faster. But who knows. There are stranger things under the sun.

Comment

You must wait for the appropriate date to install your sprockets. Never install an even set-up on an odd date or an odd numbered set-up on an even date.

If it's raining on Tuesday and it's an even date you may install an odd set-up if you finish the job before sunset.

Never install odd or even during the dark of the moon.

Comment

Originally posted by jimcor
        You must wait for the appropriate date to install your sprockets. Never install an even set-up on an odd date or an odd numbered set-up on an even date.

If it's raining on Tuesday and it's an even date you may install an odd set-up if you finish the job before sunset.

Thanks for the reminder Jim. I completely forgot about that.

Comment

It might sound dumb at first, but there is actually something to this, folks. I'm going to try to explain this below, but it is hard to put into words...

It's all to do with the pins in the chain links, ie. they are paired, each pair being bound together with the 'outer plate' of the chain link, if that makes sense. Thus as the chain wears, the space between each pair of pins stays more or less the same, but the space between seperate pairs actually gets a bit wider with age and wear.

On an even-number-toothed sprocket, what this means is that each tooth is always dealing with one kind of 'pair' -- either a wider pair or a slightly narrower pair. On an odd-number-toothed sprocket, each tooth gets to deal with a wider pair and a narrower pair every revolution. With me so far?

OK, next question is, Does it make any discernible difference as the sprocket and chain wears? Well, it does make a difference to the sprocket wear: if an even-number-toothed sprocket gets worn enough, you can actually see that every second tooth is significantly more worn than the others. On an odd-number-toothed sprocket, the teeth all wear at the same rate.

The only reason I know this is because I once used an even-number-toothed sprocket on an XJ550 that I rode into the ground. Taking off the knackered sprocket to change it, I noticed that every second tooth was much more worn than the others... so it does make a difference: you just have to nearly flog the sprocket to death to see it

As to increasing vibrations, I don't know about that. Maybe it would... but I reckon the chain would be dangerously worn by the time that became an issue.

Mike.

Comment

even if it is true it is a bit far fetched. sometimes being too technical proves nothing. If it does wear diferently so we replace the chains and sprockets as needed.
            Is it actuall important in any way????

Comment

even if it is true it is a bit far fetched.
              Well... there's nothing too far-fetched about it, if you can actually observe the staggered wear on an even-toothed-sprocket. Which indeed you can.

Is it actuall important in any way????
              I don't know, but I shared my view in the chance that it might be. As you stated earlier,
              But who knows. There are stranger things under the sun.
              Mike.

Comment

jimcor Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:08 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I always knew your were a stange one Jimbo...
                Currently bikeless
                '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Jethro! I read it all in the Old Farmers Almaniac. Made sense to me?!

Comment

So I guess the answer to this question is....yes it makes a differance but
                    not enough to be a big deal? I suppose if you flip around the sprockets
                    once in awhile than they will wear more even? Just thinking out loud :roll:

Comment

I guess you could slip an even numbered sprocket forward or backward one tooth every so often to get even wear. ie: loosen the chain sufficiently to allow you to slip one tooth forwards (say).

Perhaps a task to add to the 500 mile chain lube and tension check routine :twisted:

Pete

Comment

I must respectfully disagree with the theories regarding chain wear expressed in this thread.

It is important to understand that for all chain/sprocket sets with different diameter front and rear sprockets and resulting different numbers of teeth (i.e. all Suzuki GS chain drive bikes) each individual chain link intersects with a different tooth on each sprocket each time the chain makes one complete revolution.

The simple way to observe this is to put the bike on the center stand, kneel on the left side of the bike next to the rear sprocket, and rotate the rear wheel by hand until the master link lines up on one of the teeth of the rear sprocket.

Use the tip of a screwdriver or some type of marker and make a mark on the sprocket at the spot where the master link is located. Then, rotate the wheel by hand one full revolution, until the master link once again lines up with the rear sprocket. You will notice that the master link is not located on the same tooth as it was previously.

Rotate the wheel around a few times and repeat the marking process and you will see that the master link lines up on different sprocket teeth with each chain revolution.

I?m too lazy to work out the math, but my guess is that if you have a 41-tooth rear sprocket, the master link will line up on the same sprocket tooth once in every 41 revolutions of the chain.

Comment

oh no, what a bunch of lunatics...

the only correct info here is the one about not installing a chain on a dark moon, or when it rains. the former will not allow you to see anything, the latter get you all wet and miserable...

THE ONLY THING THE NUMBER OF TEETH CHANGES IS THE GEARING, look at a 10 speed bicycle, you all rode one of those before i hope???

Comment

Working...
                          X