Please help me!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please help me!!!

I was screwing around and locked the handlebars on my bike for the first time. (you know, when you turn the key all the way and you cant move the handlebars) Well now i can get the key to unlock the bars, and that means i cant start my bike! Ive tried wiggling them back and forth but nothing. Any ideas??

Try a little WD-40 in the lock cylinder, and some on the actual locking mechanism itself, then try your key again. If your key is a double-cut, flip it over and try it that way. Make sure and use your other hand or hip and push the bars further into that locked position while you attempt the key, to make sure that the lock mechanism isn't simply in a bind. Try your spare key. I'd even go so far as to try and get the bike onto the center stand if possible, and straddle the seat. Your weight should take the load off the front end and try the key that way while wiggling the key lock.

Comment

Also keep in mind that if you GS is like mine, you have to physically push the key down while turning from the fork lock position

Comment

Originally posted by DaveDanger
        Try a little WD-40 in the lock cylinder, and some on the actual locking mechanism itself, then try your key again. If your key is a double-cut, flip it over and try it that way. Make sure and use your other hand or hip and push the bars further into that locked position while you attempt the key, to make sure that the lock mechanism isn't simply in a bind. Try your spare key. I'd even go so far as to try and get the bike onto the center stand if possible, and straddle the seat. Your weight should take the load off the front end and try the key that way while wiggling the key lock.
        WD-40 attracts dirt and will eventually gum up a lock cylinder. Use it in an emergency if you have no choice, but if you can run to a store first get a graphite-based lubricant like Lock-Ease.

Comment

Sounded to me like he's in a situation that calls for either being able to turn a key, or going back in the house to watch his favorite football team. Not exactly an emergency, but...

Comment

That's not an emergency! He could just ride it around in eccentric circles 'til he spirals his way to a hardware store.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveDanger
              Sounded to me like he's in a situation that calls for either being able to turn a key, or going back in the house to watch his favorite football team. Not exactly an emergency, but...

Stupid Fox isnt playing my favorite football team like they advertised they would, so i guess i can work on the bike. Its getting on my nerves though!

Comment

Originally posted by RichSPK
                That's not an emergency! He could just ride it around in eccentric circles 'til he spirals his way to a hardware store.
                Perhaps you meant concentric circles...

Comment

eccentric is more fun than concentric though.

Comment

ok guys, i dont wanna ride in circles, actually i cant ride at all cause i cant get the key to the "on" position. Ive tried and tried with no luck. Ive even taken the gas tank off and tried to turn the handlebars more, but still nothing. Any more suggestions?

Comment

WD-40 is definetly a no-go, use some graphite, it is a dry lubricant made for moving metal parts without attracting dust and dirt. Also push the key all the way down into the lock then sightly pull it out (1/2mm to 1mm) and try turning or giggling it. Some times the key will wear down and push in a little further than the alignment of the tumblers.

Comment

Will the key even come out of the lock cylinder? If it won't, that sort of indicates to me that there's an internal problem in the key cylinder. If it will come out, it somewhat points towards the actual lock mechanism maybe. I'd probably see what I could do about removing the key switch itself, and determine what's actually hanging up. Odd problem.

Comment

[quote="DaveDanger"]Will the key even come out of the lock cylinder?

Yes i can get the key out, just cant unlock the handlebars. I probably wont have a chance to mess with it until at least Wed. This is killing me, i dont think my bike has sat this long since i got it! Its been over a week now!!

Comment

Dave, that a King Air in the Avatar?

I used WD40 in my ignition lock and it still works many years later. I had similar problems, the trick is pushing down on the key. Try whacking (tapping) things with a rubber mallet to help motivate things a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by jimcor
                              Dave, that a King Air in the Avatar?

I used WD40 in my ignition lock and it still works many years later. I had similar problems, the trick is pushing down on the key. Try whacking (tapping) things with a rubber mallet to help motivate things a bit.

hmmmm, ive always told my wife that a hammer and duck tape can fix anything.........

Comment

Working...
                              X