Cant get to higher RPM's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cant get to higher RPM's

I just put my bike back together, I had the tank and fenders painted and chromed all the cases. I got the generator side in but it has a little noise in it, I took it back off and saw no wear on anything, so I put it back together and still have the noise when I rev it... also I got on the road and tried to open it up, it bogs around 3000rpms... if I am static I can rev it to the max, but get on the road forget it... whats wrong? could it be the generator? or is it coincidence after I did a carefull wash of the bike... it has enough gas and I never took any carb stuff apart. its a 85 gs 700E

It actually seems to be carb related to me... Dirty jets most likely.
    2010 Honda VFR1200F
    1983 Suzuki GS750T (sold)
    Being Revisited
    1981 Honda CM400T
    http://www.bikepics.com/members/cloudbreakmd/

Comment

Check that you've got a good gas flow going into your carbs coming out of your petcock too...plugged gas line, petcock problem etc.

Comment

I checked the plugs, they were carboned up, but not wet... if the generator isn't working full capacity would it do what I described? how would I check it.... I will pull the tank and check my lines to make sure nothing got kinked when I put everything back in.

Comment

try charging the battery fully and riding it. even with a bad charging system the bike should run fine when the battery is hot. your noise kinda bothers me though, better find out what that is.

if it was all fine before taking it apart and cleaning, maybe some trash got in the fuel system somehow. drain the float bowls and see if there is garbage in em possibly. or if ya washed it you might have drown out a coil wire, but that shoulda been ok again once it had time to dry.

Comment

While the other suggestions are good, don't forget to see if your air filter is dirty - Lack of air, lack of revs
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Check the advance weights and the pickups to see if they are full of water or stuck.
              1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
              1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Great ideas for me to check tonight... I did call the dealer for ha ha's today, he said also that it sounded carb related... so I will drain the bowls and also throw in some dry gas he recommended... take her for a spin. otherwise he said very possible the carbs are dirty, the only thing that was open was the fuel line... but as my buddy who painted the tank said maybe the dust from sanding was fine enough to get by the petcock filter and gunked up the carbs. how do you take off the air box to pull the carbs (if I end up that far) and whats a fair price for the k&n type fiters... I have been wanting to get rid of the old air box type filter...

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by GS700Jim
                  Great ideas for me to check tonight... I did call the dealer for ha ha's today, he said also that it sounded carb related... so I will drain the bowls and also throw in some dry gas he recommended... take her for a spin. otherwise he said very possible the carbs are dirty, the only thing that was open was the fuel line... but as my buddy who painted the tank said maybe the dust from sanding was fine enough to get by the petcock filter and gunked up the carbs. how do you take off the air box to pull the carbs (if I end up that far) and whats a fair price for the k&n type fiters... I have been wanting to get rid of the old air box type filter...

Jim
                  The airbox cannot be removed with engine bolted in cradle, but you don't have to have it off to remove carbs although many will attest to the difficulty the first "few" times. If you're sure that you will never use the airbox again then it can be cut in half and removed without removing your engine. Not my suggestion just informational. Price for K&N's probably over $100 for a set of 4.

Comment

Remember that if you do go pod style airfilter, you have to rejet.
                    2010 Honda VFR1200F
                    1983 Suzuki GS750T (sold)
                    Being Revisited
                    1981 Honda CM400T
                    http://www.bikepics.com/members/cloudbreakmd/

Comment

okay you guys are full of good news.... I sure dont want to unbolt the engine.... and don't want to rejet the carbs.. I already have a 4 in 1 exhaust you think I would still have to rejet? again.... so how do you pull carbs without removing the airbox??? arrrgggg

Comment

Originally posted by GS700Jim
                        again.... so how do you pull carbs without removing the airbox??? arrrgggg
                        With cussing, screaming and clawing at yer face.

Also, loosen all the bolts that secure the airbox to the frame (noting any electrical connections, ground wires) loosen the clamps that secure the carbs to the airbox and (cus and scream) and wriggle it back and up and down and up and back away from the carbs.

You should end up with just (only just) enough clearance to back the carbs out of the intake so they can be pulled out the side.

Comment

Update to Problem

Hi All , Finally getting back to a follow up, I got the bike back together tonight, I drained the bowls and had some discolored sediment come out of them .. not alot though, also pulled the petcock which was clean, so I put everything back together with a tank of fresh gas, took awhile to coax the fuel into the carbs enough to fire the bike but when it took it sounded great... gave it some revs just standing static, went up no problem, so... misty night out didn't stop the test run, pulled out of the driveway fully expecting it to bog down again... vrooommmm !!! no bog, she took off like a rocket!! Whew thank God!! I sure didn't want to pull the carbs, we have a toy run this weekend and I don't have the time to play with it before then.... so I thank you all, you were right about the fuel problem, and I think clearing the bowls did it.. who knows there may have been some water in there too?, next nice day I will take a few pics of the sweet thing and post them.
                          Jim

Comment

Working...
                          X