Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you use a tank bag often? Straps or Mag?? Please vote!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you use a tank bag often? Straps or Mag?? Please vote!!!

Getting back into motorcycles after a 25 year absense. I never thought about tank bags till a couple weeks ago.

However, I'm going to add a one to my system... for lots of daily commuting. I've seen many bags that'll fit my 850 G tank just fine... so I'm deciding what features and size I want.

But among all those choices... I can also choose either, a strap attachment, or magnet style. My first thought was, magnet, it's super easy and the ones I'm looking at are very secure.

But then the more I see the, strap attachment style... I think, they would also be easy to attach to my particilar bike. And once they're on, you just unclick the straps and it's easy on and off.

So if you use a tankbag regularly, I'd appreciate your input :
    1 - I'm wanting to keep my 25 year old paint job looking it's best...
    2 - Magnet bags are heavier and some have big bulky bags hanging down the sides of the tank... they're convenient though.
    3 - Magnets can effect credit cards in your wallet (that you throw in the bag)
    3 - Straps are lighter... and they usually go forward to steering column and back under seat (sometimes down the sides of the tank).
    4 - I'd be needing to remove... or spin... or tip... or tilt the bag every week for fill-ups.
    5 - Which style would you buy? Based on this... and your own experience?

Thanks for your input....

I got a Tourmaster Cortech magnetic tankbag. It's on the small side, but it beats the hell out of riding around with a backpack. I dropped the bike a few years back and the bag came off the tank. I had the "leash" holding it to the steering head. It swung around and came to rest with the map window on the headers, melting a hole in the map window. That probably wouldn't have happened with a strap-on. I still use it all the time, and it hasn't marred the tank.

I've also borrowed a much larger strap-on tank bag (Chase Harper, IIRC) for a trip down to Virginia. The extra storage space was awesome, and the straps weren't all that inconvenient. Magnet-mount would be my first choice, but if I were to buy another tank bag right now I'd get a big one, regardless of whether it was magnetic or a strap-on.

Comment

I bought a Nelson Rigg Magnetic Tank Bag from Dennis Kirk this Spring and have had it on my 850 ever since. I don't know the model number but it is a little small but has served my purpose (which is daily commuting carrying, Gloves, Lunch, safety Glasses, name Tag and other odd items) Very well. Is has never offered to move at speeds up to 80 mph and my Tank's paint is unchanged. It has a large clear map pocket on top that I keep my Proof of Insurance card in. If I were looking at touring any distance I would look into a larger model but I am very happy with the quality of the Nelson Rigg Product.
      sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
      2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

I've used both.
        Lately, like this year, I bought a mag tank bag.
        It is expandable, has a removable map window.
        Held on over 100mph.....on both an E tank and a 1000s tank.

The strap on has been on the 1000S for 15 years.
        It's showing it's age, but holds more.

I'm leaning towards the mag bag more and more.

Check out www.brocktoncycle.com
        I bought mine thru them for ok money.
        Keith
        -------------------------------------------
        1980 GS1000S, blue and white
        2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

I've got a 20 year old Eclipse strap on tank bag. Never used it on my 850 yet but never hurt the paint or anything on the Yamaha I had for years. Wax the tank once in a while and your good to go.

Comment

Thanks for these great comments... yeah, I like the ones with the removeable, clear map pockets. And yes, there are a huge range of sizes... I'm going to end up with something in the middle. The biggest one that fits and doesn't interfere with seeing the gauges or handlebar clearence when you park and might need nearly full lock for manuevering (is there a spellcheck on here ..

So I value your comments on preference of the strap or magnet attachment system.
            I'll keep checking back.

Comment

I have a small Chase Harper magnetic tank bag. It came with straps also, but I'll never need to use them. The magnets held up to 132.5 mph, I can tell you that. The paint doesn't seem to have any problems with the bag, just make sure to check the surface each time you put it on. Screws and nails can find a way of sticking to that magnet. I never put my wallet and credit cars in the tank bag, I always keep it in my jacket pocket.
              Currently bikeless
              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

About 15 years ago I was at the IMC in Seattle and found the Vario magnetic tank bag.

I love this thing. It has 2 parts (thus the Vario), the magnetic bottom that about 5" deep and a zip on top that adds another 4". Clear map pocket on both, heavy Cordura, speed tested to 120 mph (at the track).

I use the bottom part all the time. I just slide it back into my lap when I gas up. No wear or scratches on the paint.

The bottom of the bag itself is not magnetic, just the side pouches. So you only need to be careful of credit cards if you take the bag with you when you get off the bike.

When using both parts and stuffing it full, it makes a good chest rest if you have lower handlebars like mine. You can see the bottom in my avatar

I had an Eclipse back in the 80's and my tank always got worn. I'm sure that's improved by now.
                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                2007 DRz 400S
                1999 ATK 490ES
                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I vote for saddle bags. 8)

Comment

I use my Nelson Riggs magnetic expandable tank bag daily and have in the past used a strap on tank bag. I prefer the magnetic bag and have had no problems with it staying attached even at triple digit speeds.

Comment

I have an old Chase Harper strap bag. I got it with the 750, and retrieved it after the accident. I had it repaired free (CH has a lifetime warranty) and put it on the 1100. It's been a nice bag. I can stuff it pretty full before I have to expand it. The only complaints I have are that the buckles have been pulling out of where they are rivetted into the bag. And when I undo the front straps I have to make sure that I throw them over the signal stems to keep them from melting on the exhaust.

I think I'd probably try a magnetic bag next. Just to get a fair comparison.

Brad tt

Comment

Old Eclipse strap bag. Has been on several bikes now and hasn't damaged the paint on any.

Comment

I have a Chase Harper tank bag. It has the leash to the handlebars and it only has magnets directly below the bag - no flaps. My bag has never slid off the tank. It has a nice textured rubber bottom to it and it has never affected my paint. I do take it on and off when not in use though.

-J
                          16 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT with 175hp stock, no upgrades required...
                          13 Yamaha WR450 with FMF pipe, Baja Designs street legal kit
                          78 GS750E finely tuned with:

78 KZ1000 in pieces with:
                          Rust, new ignition, burnt valves and CLEAN carbs!

History book:
                          02 GSF1200S Bandit (it was awesome)
                          12 Aprilia Shiver 750
                          82 GS1100G

83 Kaw 440LTD

Comment

I have a Chase Harper expandable bag with map window that I never use. It's on the tank constantly strap style up front with little u- shaped grips that hold onto the tank seam close to the seat.

In this bag I carry open end wrenches 7mm-17mm. Sockets 7mm-19mm with mini rachet and adapter for larger sockets. Screwdrivers, needle nose pliers, electrical wire strippers, visegrips, axlle nut wrench, fuses, wire, electrical tape, misc. nuts and bolts, plumbers tape, hose clamps, taillight bulbs, masterlink and clip, sparkplug, sparkplug wrench. I carry this stuff in the lower half of the bag, seperated by zipper and cordura. The upper section is expandable.

I also have a Chase Harper tail pack held on by 4 bungees, two to the shock tops and two going thru the bottom holes of the licence plate I have three licence plates on top of each other for stiffness. I have no turn signals to attach to.

These two bags are constantly on the bike, I don't care about the paint because the bags are always there. The bike looks a little strange to me without them. In one of the pockets I carry, extra facesheild, rags, clutch and throttle cables. On long trips I carry an extra quart of oil in a ziploc bag in one of the side pouches. Doubt I could live without their convenience.
                            GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

I just bought an EXL MB-45 Tri-Tank Magnetic bag for the Galena Rally, and I was very happy with its performance!

The EXL comes in a wide variety of sizes, and they're sold by one company in Indiana that markets them as a less expensive alternative to more expensive comparable products.

My bag is a Tri-bag, meaning there are three separate sections that can be used in a variety of configurations. The magnetic base can be used alone, incorporating a nice map pocket for day trips. The middle section can be used if you want to take something along on that day trip, and the top section provides even more storage for more involved travel. Both bags have small zippered outer sections for cameras, keys, etc...

Each section has a map window, so regardless of how it's set up you have easy view of any printed instructions while you ride. The magnetic base has a wide velcro strap that holds the flaps neatly under the bag when off the bike, and there's a choice of either a backpack style setup or "over the shoulder" straps (both included).

The magnets seem very strong, but I couldn't tell you how well they hold because my bag sits behind a Vetter fairing. One of the other guys in our group had a "dual" version of my bag (two parts instead of my three) on his GS, and said he was VERY happy with it's performance -- he doesn't run a fairing on his bike.

I paid $78 including shipping, and I couldn't find anything else even remotely comparable for less than around $140. The company, "Moto-DirectUSA.com" backs it with a two year warranty, and the people were great to deal with.

I found their "buy it now" listings on Ebay, and would do it again without hesitation.

Enjoy,
                              Steve 8)

Comment

Working...
                              X