tranny acting up !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tranny acting up !

I have a chance to buy a 85 GS700es needing work it seems that the tranny was jumping out of gear and it stopped at some point and now it will not engage in any gear although but does seem like it does shift into different gears. Anybody heard of this ? and what does it take to fix and most important is it an expensive fix ?I have to figure what to offer for it.
    It was selling for 1k before this problem started .Its a clean machine with 16K on the clock.Thanks, Robu

The repair willmost likely require the engine to be pulled and the cases split. The labor charges will add up quickly unless you'd be doing the deed yourself. Either way $1k is alot for 700es with that sort of repair in its immediate future IMO.

Comment

If you can get it for 500 dollars it would be worth the effort to pull the cases apart. Those bikes are real good machines that handle well. The actual part is probably not going to cost much but it is buried in the case and that will take two weekends to sort out.

Good winter project.
      1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
      1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

That sounds like the spring on the shift drum detent, you should be able to get to it from the clutch side and repair it without splitting the cases.. if that's what the problem is..

But I wouldn't pay $1k for a bike with an unknown tranny problem... that's for sure.

Comment

Yeah, I would not let the seller off he hook. He has a bike with troubles and that is his loss. Unless he wants it to sit in the garage for 5 years he may be inclined to take the first offer that comes along. If you fix it easy, great! but don't do him any favor by diagnosing it for him. If it si something serious the part out value of the bike is easily 500 dollars so you can get your money right back. The 700 is a unique bike from a bodywork and suspension standpoint so those parts are sought after.
          1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
          1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

well it looks like $500 for an offer . and hope its an easy fix and most importantly that he goes for it .Thanks All

Comment

I had the same problem with my bike. It turned out to be a busted cam stopper. Had to get in there to discover that and while I was in there I went and had the tranny gears undercut too. But, more importantly, WHAT A GREAT WAY TO REALLY GET TO KNOW YOUR BIKE! A great winter project, complete disassembly of the motor, tranny...all kinds of great learning experiences. And there's no better feeling when after you've tightened that last bolt, hit the starter button and that baby fires right up. What a great sense of accomplishment. Makes a feller proud knowing that he too can wrench beyond changing the oil! Get a good manual and the right tools and parts and get in there man! It's all Zen from there. You can do it!

82 GS1100EZ
              74 RD 350[/b]

Comment

That sounds like the spring on the shift drum detent, you should be able to get to it from the clutch side and repair it without splitting the cases.. if that's what the problem is..
                I agree. This is something to check first. Pull the clutch cover and clutch and have a looksee.

I'd go for $400, but $500 isn't unreasonable...
                Currently bikeless
                '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Working...
                X