Brake upgrades ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake upgrades ?

Anybody know of a bolt on brake upgrade for a GS1000s?
    Ive been looking at nissin 4 pots but am not sure if there is enough clerance
    between caliper and wheel.
    I checked the 6 pots on my GSXR1100 and not enough clearance.

I've been thinking about this on a GS750ES/EF and looking at late GSXR750 4 pots. I haven't been able to see any up close yes but the pics look about right. Maybe time for a trip to the used bike shop with a ruler....

/\/\ac

Comment

Slingshot Nissin 4 piston calipers will not bolt up to the stock GS750E/ES forks. You will need to fabricate hangers to make it work.

I believe the early DOP dual piston calipers- '86 and '87 GSXR will work. I will check as I have a set of both Nissin's and DOP calipers. The DOP calipers were on the 1993 Katana 750 front end I am using. I can match them to the stock GS750E tubes and let you know if they bolt up.

Ride On, Ed.
      1983 GS750ED
      2005 GSF1200SZ

Comment

Originally posted by oldschoolGS
        Slingshot Nissin 4 piston calipers will not bolt up to the stock GS750E/ES forks. You will need to fabricate hangers to make it work.

I believe the early DOP dual piston calipers- '86 and '87 GSXR will work. I will check as I have a set of both Nissin's and DOP calipers. The DOP calipers were on the 1993 Katana 750 front end I am using. I can match them to the stock GS750E tubes and let you know if they bolt up.

Ride On, Ed.
        1983 GS750ED
        2005 GSF1200SZ
        Awesome, those were ones I was looking at too. I'm going to run the stock ones for now...but more pistons is better pistons! :twisted:

/\/\ac

Comment

Here is what I found:

Bolt spacing for GS, Katana/Early GSXR DOP, and Slingshot Nissin GSXR calipers are all different.

Only Katana/Early GSXR DOP calipers have the same spacing.

My 1993 Katana 750 DOP and 1987 GSXR1100 DOP calipers are identical in spacing, although the pistons on the 1100 calipers are larger than the Kat 750 ones.

All others will require mounting plates to be fabricated to bolt to stock fork tubes.

Hope this helps, Ed.
          1983 GS750ED
          2005 GSF1200SZ

Comment

The brakes on my 850 are lousy too. I'd be interested in finding out if there's any twin pot replacements that would swap directly.

Comment

Thanks for the input.
              Had a look at DOP, and tokiko 6 spot, both are too thick to clear wheel from inside of disc.
              CBR 2 piston are fairly thin at the back but have a strange bracket setup.
              I'll keep an eye out.

Comment

Working...
              X