Gs1100 wont start at first.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs1100 wont start at first.

I try to start my '82 gs1100 when its cold and it'll turn over and over and over and over till the battery dies, no go. sometimes it backfires when i let off the starter button, but after i let it sit awhile, usually just enough time for me to go get jumpercables and a car to jump it with, it will start right up, i recently put pod filters on it, it started fine before with no filters, and i accidently put cheep gas in it. thats about all i can think of, any help at all would be great. oh and fyi, i can smell gas at first so i know its flooding.

It's probably running too lean...
    2010 Honda VFR1200F
    1983 Suzuki GS750T (sold)
    Being Revisited
    1981 Honda CM400T
    http://www.bikepics.com/members/cloudbreakmd/

Comment

Re: Gs1100 wont start at first.

Originally posted by spacemanbt
      i recently put pod filters on it, it started fine before with no filters
      You did mean the stock filter and airbox right?
      2010 Honda VFR1200F
      Being Revisited
      1981 Honda CM400T

Comment

hmmm to lean makes it flood? hmm ill check that, also why does turning my idle screw left lower my rpm and right raises em, seems counter intuitive. and no i mean no filters, when i got it, it had no filters, and it started right up but ran a tad rough, so i threw some pod filters on to save money and pistons. and a few weeks later it has trouble starting

Comment

well i gave it more gas and when i tried to start it it backfired

Comment

I just re-read your post... I think it's flooding cause you are cranking it and it's not firing... I guess we have to wait for the carb. gurus to arrive...
            2010 Honda VFR1200F
            Being Revisited
            1981 Honda CM400T

Comment

Originally posted by spacemanbt
              also why does turning my idle screw left lower my rpm and right raises em, seems counter intuitive.
              Look closely at the mechanism... As you the screw turns in, it opens the butterflies slightly...
              2010 Honda VFR1200F
              Being Revisited
              1981 Honda CM400T

Comment

GS 1100 won't start at first.

Hello from Australia,matey. 8)

Spaceman,it sounds like your problem is air/fuel mixture related. :?

You altered the mixture when you put the pods on, mate.
                You need to have someone tickle the carbs, and give it a spray of AEROSTART direct onto your pods and a spray into each cylinder via spark plug hole and see what happens.(thats a spray mate,not a saturation).

Also make sure your plugs are the correct ones and nice and clean with correct gap.

Aerostart is made by CRC Industries in Australia and I do not know if it is sold under the same name in your country , but it is 24% ETHER AND OTHER PETROLEUM DISTILLATES.

If you can not find AEROSTART under that name ask at your local major car accessories shop, and explain what you are trying to buy, and why, and they will probably have something similar.
                WARNING: DO NOT USE YOUR CHOKE WITH THIS STUFF, AND DO NOT FLOOD YOUR CARBS FIRST. AND DO NOT INHALE FUMES,THIS STUFF WILL KILL YOU. 8O

USE IN A WELL VENTILATED AREA.!!!!!!

RIDE WELL ,RIDE SAFE,TOO MANY OF US DON'T MAKE IT.

See Ya mate.

P.S. If you have the spare bucks ,it would probably be better for your machine ,to give it a proper tune-up, and whoever was running the bike before without AIR CLEANERS OF SOME SORT deserves a kick up the butt!!!! (quick way to screw your motor ,doing that for too long,but he has sold the bike to you,so its not his problem now IS IT.????!!!)

MESSAGE ENDS.10AM.WESTERN SYDNEY. AUSTRALIA.

Comment

I am having the same problem with my GS 1000 actually, exactly as you described it, in my case my airbox rubbers were real bad and leaking on nearly all the carbs.

Pod filters cause the same thing, I have read a lot that you likely have to rejet your carbs when you change to these types of filters otherwise you have a problem with your engine running way too lean.

Eventually it starts because the engine gets warm, and if it is real warm outside you may not even experience any problems at all.

My fix was simple, I fixed the airbox filter with some glue, and purchased new rubbers for my airbox... you either need to go back to the original airbox or you need to adjust your carbs to work with the new filters.

Comment

so get a jet kit and just rejetm my carbs? i also i have an aftermakret header i believe, any help on what jet changes to make or shoudl i just start shooting in the dark?

Comment

I can't tell if you mean it starts after sitting with a jump or without a jump. You need to clarify that - makes a big diagnostic difference.

Comment

The next time it doesn't start with the choke on pull the plugs and see if they are wet or dry. That should point you in the right direction.

Back in 1990 when I picked up my 82 GS1100 the fuel passages in the bottom of the bowl was blocked (all four of them) and wouldn't let any fuel up into the choke circuit. A small drill bit took care of that problem and now when the choke is on it's getting lots of fuel.
                        1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
                        1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
                        1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
                        1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
                        01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

my battery is dying, so i only get like 30 seconds of turn over before it dies, in the time it takes me to go get a jump the bike unfloods and seems ready to start.

Comment

If your carbs work OK when you jump the bike, they probably aren't the problem.

Make sure your battery can hold a charge and has enough voltage to start your bike. It should be at least 13.5+ volts. Remove your plugs and turn the motor over while grounding a plug - do you see a nice big blue spark?

If the spark is weak, the voltage drop that occurs when you crank the starter is preventing an adequate spark. There isn't a lot of reserve in M/C batteries. If that's the case, make sure the battery has enough H2O and put it on a trickle charge overnite. It should indicate a higher voltage than before you charged it. If not, new battery time.

Try starting again with a freshly charged or new battery.

Comment

GS1100 won't start

Hello from Australia again Spaceman. 8)

Take note of what Flyingace said matey, if you have a weak spark she won't start,just been through the same thing with my GS 1000 G,so I can tell you from experience,HE'S RIGHT.

Also you said the other day that you used questionable fuel ?

Drain it out and replace it with good fuel and clean your plugs and give it a squirt of ether into the cylinders and a burst onto your pods,then give it a go.

Let us know how you go mate,interested to find out if she will fire.

If you have a problem with a decent spark due to lack of power in your battery, try hooking up a car battery with jumper leads before you try and kick her over.

See Ya mate.

horse56@bigpond .com.au.

P.S. Between us all we'll get the bugger going.

Comment

Working...
                              X