oil cover studs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil cover studs

I need to replace several of the studs that hold the oil cover on because there were stripped by PO. There are only three nuts holding the cover on right now.
    I have the replacement studs, but my manual doesn't say anything about this seemingly simple task.

Is it as simple as unscrewing the old ones and screwing in the new ones? How do i get them in there nice and tight without maring up the threads on the side that sticks out? In other words what do I grip them with? Do I need to do anything to keep them from vibrating back out?

Dan

You can use vise grips to get the old one's out, just clamp on them and turn them out, it doesen't matter if you mess them up. Then to install the new ones use two nuts (10mm I think) jammed together then just use a wrench to tighten them in.

Comment

That sounds like it will work perfectly.
      Thanks for the info!

dan

Comment

Don't forget the locktite!

Comment

Have some penetrating oil handy, and soak the stud right where it enters the case before you start trying to remove it. The instant that the stud begins to turn, hit it with the penetrating oil again. Try to keep the stud turning as steadily a possible. For some reason, steel studs in aluminum cases seem to gall and stick badly when they begin to come out. The result is damaged threads inside the aluminum. After you've gotten the old stud out, flush the threaded hole with brake cleaner or something similar, and blow it clean with compressed air if you have access to it. You want every drop of penetrating oil out before installing the new stud. Put a few drops of Loc-Tite inside the threaded hole and a drop or two on the threads at the very end of the new stud. Like dgeorge said, jam two nuts together near the outer end of the new stud, and drive it in preferrably with a socket. A wrench will work, but it tends to side-load the stud while it turns, making it very easy to cross-thread.

Comment

Working...
          X