1978 Suzuki 400 Gs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1978 Suzuki 400 Gs

I have Just Bought a 1978 suzuki 400 Gs with 14,000km the engine runs great! Any info on this model would be great. Also if anybody knows were i can get tires and the layout of the bike.
    Any Info is great.

Welcome to the GSR! Try Posting in the GS Owners Forum, the Tech Forum in more Suited for Specific Technical Problems. I'm sure someone around has the Information you need but it's not me (GS850G)
    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

I have a Haynes manual and you should also try and get your hands on one. My bike is an 85 450L, but the manual is for all the twins. I'll have to look this afternoon at tire sizes.

Comment

I've also got a '78 GS400. I bought a Clymers manual, and it is a lifesaver. For tire sizes, look at the sides of the tires you've already got! Its a tough question, because Suzuki put so many different wheels on those things.

Comment

Welcome to the forum - it is a fabulous resource.

Stock tire sizes on the '78 GS400 are

Front - 3.00X18
          Rear - 3.50x18

I believe that translates to a 90 front and 100 rear in metric sizes. I'll check what I have on my '77 tonight.

I would also recommend a manual. Clymers are widely available, and there's a factory manual on eBay at the moment.

There's also an owner's manual there now - not nearly as complete as the shop manual, but a lot of basic mechanical and tune-up info - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1977-...QQcmdZViewItem - Interesting starting bid $9.99 and Buy-it-now of $10.00 :roll:

As far as other info, let me know what you need and I'll see what I can do. Feel free to ask questions as things come up - it's a great place to learn.

Comment

I checked my 400 and I have a 90/90-18 on the front and a 110/80-18 on the rear - no problems with clearance or handling. I wouldn't go any bigger with either. They're IRC Durotours - I've got no complaints, but I don't have much to compair them with.

As far as where to get tires, I've had good experience with http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/default.aspx# and http://www.americanmototire.com/

Comment

thanks for all the info

Yea the tires i have on the bike are so worn out i cant read any thing written on them. i really dont have any knowledge on bikes as this is my first so im learning as i go. Quick question all of a sudden i cant get as much power from the bike as i could get in the begining it feels like the powers been cut in half and it takes 5 or 6 times of starting it up to get it moving. up until the fith or sixth try it usually stalls after a few centameters. whats going on??

Comment

Working...
              X