Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 GS450S PETCOCK

Hey Guys.

I am having a petcock problem, I knew I need a rebuild soon, and now is the time (the petcock told me so... it said "no gas for you!") I am currently looking for the rebuild kits, and do not know if there is a petcock difference between the 1981 gs450 models. I do not see too many for the "s" model, but curious if the other models would work. Thanks.

The petcock on the E and S are the same part no.s but the L is listed differently. The 80's are listed as 44300-44170 but the 81s as 44300-44171 (both S and E are the same for their years)

There was a post somewhat recently about someone using the diaphram of another sized bike's petcock on his 450 with positive results. Don't remember how far back though....

I was able to almost use a petcock from a 550 or a 750 (I don't recall the size ) except the outlet hose went the wrong way. The innards worked fine in mine however.

If you know of a good wrecker you could probably take it in and they could hook you up with the parts you need. I miss the one I used to go to in CT....

Comment

I got my rebuild kits from cycle re-cycle. My diaphragm is square with 4 phillips head screws that hold it in place. The petcock mounts to the tank with 2 bolts and there is an o-ring that seals against the tank that is a long oval shape. You can pull your petcock off and take it apart in less than 5 minutes. I think I have the old parts I could take a pic of and I have a petcock rebuilt ready to go on the tank I'm about to paint too. Let me know.

Comment

Just saw this on ebay. I bought the tank from this guy and he's fine to deal with. I think the tank sat dry for a good while, so this petcock would need a rebuild if I had to guess.

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUZUK...80497519QQrdZ1 Does it look like this?

Comment

That's definitely the one my L uses.

Comment

Wow, this has turned out to be more difficult than I thought!

Comment

Working...
              X