Need Help 83 GS450TXD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Help 83 GS450TXD

Hi everyone well I need some help with a few things on the new ride. It's my first bike and though I can do the work I just need to know how.

1- How do I get the darn seat off? lol
    2- Can fork oil leak out the bottom of the fork?
    3- I've read about changing the R/R and using a Honda CM400 one, will this work?
    4- The chrome caps on the cylinders heads on one side of the engine have leaked oil at one time I guess, Can I just take them off and and replace the gaskets?

Ok sorry for all the questions and I hope someone can help me out a little. I'll post pictures soon of the new addition.

1) not sure...should be a lock or latch underside or back end
    2) yes...out the drain hole or fork bolt
    3) yes
    4) yes
    5) you need a manual

Comment

The seat on my L model has two bolts toward the back on either side of the seat. You have to look under the side of the grab rail. It's a pain for an ordinarily simple operation.

Underneath the chrome caps are half moon shaped rubber seals. If they are leaking, they will need to be replaced. Bike Bandit has all the bits and pieces you'll need. 4 half moons and a cylinder head cover gasket.

Sorry, but don't have good answers for your other two questions.

Comment

My '82 GS450TXZ requires that I remove the bolts that hold on the turn signal brackets and carefully dangle the turn signals, then the seat will lift off. Careful with the wiring.

Very annoying, but you don't need under there often, thank God!

Comment

450TXD

Thanks to everyone for all the info. I noticed two little chrome latches on the underside of the seat one on each side about midway. I moved them forward while pulling up on the seat but no dice, it didnt work. I thought they were seat release latches and maybe they still are but perhaps I have to remove the two bolts first.

Anyway thanks again for the replys and unitl I can get a new memory card for the digital I'll wait to post again.

Dave

Comment

Re: 450TXD

Originally posted by NorthernRider
            Thanks to everyone for all the info. I noticed two little chrome latches on the underside of the seat one on each side about midway. I moved them forward while pulling up on the seat but no dice, it didnt work. I thought they were seat release latches and maybe they still are but perhaps I have to remove the two bolts first.

Anyway thanks again for the replys and unitl I can get a new memory card for the digital I'll wait to post again.

Dave
            On my 450L the seat support brackets at the rear have slots cut in them to slide over the mounting bolts if they are just loosened, so the bolts do not have to be removed completely (I found out after I had removed them!)

Yours might be the same, so just loosen the bolts that double as the indicator fasteners, and when loose just lift the back of the seat, it should come off.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Seat

Ok I got the seat off, turns out there are two bolts under the seat near the rear and they had to come right out, then pull on the two latches and tada off comes the seat.

Thanks everyone for getting my brain working again, been awhile since I've had to be logical in thought lol.

Dave

Comment

Working...
              X